Long dark evenings and Opencpn

rossd

Ok so on my first long dark evening with this Open CPN I have got to the point where I'm loading the NZ LINZ charts into the program. The LINZ download produced 181 folders of NZ charts. Is there a way of loading all of these at once or do I need to load them folder by folder as it seems to this point?

I got to about the 4th folder and realized just how many were there - hence this post!

Ok so on my first long dark evening with this Open CPN I have got to the point where I'm loading the NZ LINZ charts into the program. The LINZ download produced 181 folders of NZ charts. Is there a way of loading all of these at once or do I need to load them folder by folder as it seems to this point?

I got to about the 4th folder and realized just how many were there - hence this post!

When I did that all the NZ charts were in one folder and I just copied that, got it from here http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/digital-charts/nzmariner

i have a netbook with open cpn loaded ,and can power it from a inverter on the boat. I also have 2 handheld garmin gps but no connection to the netbook. I thought it would be easier to buy a usb gps aerial to get the netbook running as a plotter etc.?

Powering it from an inverter is really inefficient! Way better to use a DC to DC power supply. You can buy a USB GPS, or you can use a usb- serial adapter if you have a GPS that outputs nmea. See the front page for connection info. The hockey puck GPS units are ok, but a proper marine GPS with antenna is better. ☺

Archived