Pro question times

Island Time

Would you use the Question Time Service?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use the Question Time Service?

• Yes
    • No

It has been suggested by one of our Advertisers that we run a "question time" facility, whereby we advertise a particular Advertiser will be online to take questions on their product or industry for a set time - say, for example, 6-7 pm on a Thursday (this is not a set time!!).

There has been some resistance from some of the Advertisers becoming directly involved on the Forums due to the actions/postings of some members in the past. These question times will be moderated.

I see it as a method for the Advertisers to become more know to the Crew.Org community, and for the members to get some free professional advice.

So, here is a poll. Would YOU use this service??

I don't see how that would be any improvement of the current system IT. Asking a question in the tech section usually gets pretty good advice.

Yes, it does. But often from other sailors, not the pro's in the industry. It would be an opportunity for the Advertisers to promote new products, and tell us about changes in tech. Questions from the user base are more often about a specific problem they have - which is fine. I just thought that this might add something else?

Guys this site is now more closely moderated. You should not see any of that stuff any more - if you do, please report the post and it will be deleted. The rules apply to everyone, and there have been several users banned while everyone gets used to the new rules.

I am completely open to any new ideas for content or services that will support boating, especially sailing, in NZ. Send me a PM with your ideas!

Matt.

Good idea I just wonder about the ability of an expert to answer a flow of questions in such a short period of time(lets say an hour). Typing is not everybodies strength and perhaps the current format where questions are answered over time might work better?

I ran the social media feed and livestream Q and A for a global telco conference at a Melbourne uni recently and aside form the BS that needed to be filtered the reality was we only answered about 5% of the questions over a 2 hr window and that was questions via social/email with a verbal answer/discussion over the streaming video which is quicker and more flexible than via text on a website.

What about the concept of an Q and A event at a club, video it and provide it later with a text transcript for keyword searches? Good way to meet other people but not so good for the out of towners.

Thanks BNG, and that may be an issue. However, the hour will be the time set aside to begin with - does not mean it cannot go over, or that the thread cannot continue after that.

One of the objections that I get from members, is that the site is to "Auckland Based" ignoring the rest of the country. It is true a lot of the discussions are Auckland centric, or by Aucklanders, but that is also where most of the members, and most of the yachts are!!

At this stage, the idea is to be all inclusive - and then develop the idea if it is well accepted by forum members.

Actual physical meetings are something I intend to do, but still working on that and what the best format might be.

Only 18 people have voted so far, from 328 views. Come on people, let us know what you think!

I appreciate the input. Thanks

Matt

Any initiative that improves the content on this site is good news to me. I've generally lost interest due to all the petty crap that goes on here

Same.

Archived