Boats

Halsey

PS Noah was a great boatbuilder, helmsman and seaman. :wink: :wink: but had a funny liking for animals. :shh:[/quote

someone involved with the Big Ruby had a similar outlook

Great boatbiulder absolutely. What an undertaking with no woodworking gear. :shock:

Helmsman? I don't think it had a wheel nor a sail and certainly no motor, unless he had the Hamsters hooked up to spin a prop. :wink:

But he DID take a wife. The sheep may have been used, but only for warmth :wink:

There was also a reason why God chose Noah to build a boat way back then and not present day. Imagine God trying to get someone to build a boat like that today. First of all, we would all be complaining about the working hrs. We would want Weekends off. Or at the very least, a day in liue. Overtime if some work went into the evenings and decent meals provided for. And decent working conditions. Especially when it rains. Wood gets very slippery when wet, so if you got a few spots, it would be tools down. A decent set of tools woudl be a must. I mean come on, how can anyone build a leak proof boat without some good gear. And you don't want to be poping back to M10 every second day with a worn out sumsong tool, so the budget needs to be decent so you can go buy Feestol (Hey, if you have a good budget, buy the best I say) Wood dust is realy toxic stuff, so decent dust extraction is a must. In fact, OSH would soon step in and demand lots of safety systems to be put in place. Each morning would start off with a "Tool box meeting" to discuss all the hazards, work out how to minimize or remove the Hazard. The boat was really high, so scaffold would be needed as soon as you got a couple of metres off the ground and harness equipment when up really high. And of course, as soon as anyone was over 3.5m up, the scaffold has to be certified. What about those big heavy timber beams. Can't go lifting them with out a crane. Which reminds me, after the tool box meeting, we should all be doing stretching execises to make sure our backs are kept in good order. And no lifting anything over 25Kg. For those doing fiddly stuff, a short break every hr to stretch the neck and fingers is important to stop RSI injuries.

Of course Noah got away with building the thing in his back yard. But this was not just a boat, it was a Ship and i doubt any of us would get away with building a Ship in our back yards these days. It would have to be in a Zoned Industrial area for starters. And as it was quite a project, Resource consent would be required for any foundation work, sky line infringment and noise.

And the final issue would be the Timber used. None of that scarce expensive exotic timber and certainly none of our own Native. Just useless Pine and hope it doesn't twist and warp too much.

God would have had to put off the rain several times because of finish dates being pushed out and Cost over runs.

But Finally God would have to give up on the idea of flooding the world due to the Lawyers taking Noah to court over leaky boat syndrome. The Court battles went on so long, the Pine started rotting because Tanalized Timber could not longer be used and it wasn't long before the boat became un-sea worthy and the entire project had to be dropped. Now a large eyesore sits on the skyline and it can not be burn't due to the carbon it would put into the air.

Job Safety Analysis.

I forgot the

Safety Inductions

Hot Work Permit

Confined Space Permit

Permit to Work

There's more time spent papework than the actual job these days. :thumbdown:

I was thinking about Hot work permits, but I didn't realise there was a confined space permit. We would need some gas detectors to make sure Co2 levels were safe of course.

Oh and all Plumbing must now be carried out by a registered Plumber. Elkectrical can at least be installed by anyone competent, but it must be ticked of by an inspector and given a certificate of compliance.

Actually, Noah wouldn't be carried off to a Mental institution, he would be going there of his own accord because he has become so frustrated with dealing with the Red tape. Sadly, they wouldn't let him in because he doesn't meet the requirements. But if he joins a Gang, starts using Drugs or Alcohol, they can give him all the help he needs.

Lucky there where only hand tools on site otherwise all the electric tools, cables would need to be inspected every 6 months and tagged.

If there was electricity on site the plugs would be the special type so all the existing plug would have to be changed and all 3phase equipment would require an external earth wire, yes 5 wires to every machine.

The gas monitors need to be calibrated every 3 months I think.

Just think in the good ole days we would turn up on site start work, pub at lunch, knock off at 5 and get kicked out of the pub at 6. :lol: :lol:

If there was electricity on site the plugs would be the special type so all the existing plug would have to be changed and all 3phase equipment would require an external earth wire, yes 5 wires to every machine.

What's with the extra earth wire?? Surely the 4 wire cable feeding the machine is enough?? No? That's a new one on me. Has NZ gone mad?

Yeah what do you mean external Earth wire SJB? 5 wire I cna understand for 3 phase + Neutral + Earth. I can understand Earth screened or shielded cable. But a seperate Earth wire I don't get.

Archived