washed off the back, no lifelines, all sleeping...

erice

A Northland man survived hours in the water after he was swept off the back of a yacht while relieving himself with his ship-mates sleeping below decks.

Langs Beach man Todd Vercoe, 36, was forced to swim to shore after he fell off the back of a yacht he and two others were sailing to Tutukaka, near Whangarei, on Saturday evening.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1003304 ... -for-hours

One very lucky Guy. He must have been a very Powerful swimmer to cover 5 to 6Kms in 2hrs. I think we should nominate him for the Olympics :wink:

This does bring up an interesting angle to the argument of Lifejacket. I don't know about you guys, but swimming 5Km with a lifejacket on would be impossible for most. Unless it was a deflated inflatable. But if it was inflated and he bobbed around out there for the same period of time before rescue, I doubt he would have survived Hypothermia and it would have been much harder to have been spotted. Getting himself to shore certainly saved his life.

Rule #1: Don't leave the boat

As far as lifejackets go, I have a personal preference for manual inflation PFDs so that you have an option of inflating them when and if you want. I know others here may have a differing view. It is interesting to note that Coastguard units insist in their on-water people wearing inflatable PFDs but they all manually inflatable.

I agree Grinna! My manual jacket has all the extras - hood, knife, light, PLB etc, and you can swim in it, but more efficiently without it. Be a brave call to discard it if in the water though!

ALWAYS clip on when on deck alone!

That's the rule, but I'm sure we have all broken it on occasion. He was very lucky he was a good swimmer and not further out!

Yes it seems that they were close enough in, sometimes the motion when motoring can be more treacherous than when under sail... The old bucket in the cockpit of course is a safer option than perching on the gunwhale for a slash when you are alone. :oops:

One good thing about outboards in cockpit wells, the wells are very multi purpose and at times a very handy option when talking safety.

The price you pay for pissing over the transom!

Why do so many sailors not use the "head" they payed for and spend hours maintaining.?

A three metre walk would have been easier that a 6 k swim.

Archived