Today's Nautical quiz

Island Time

in freezing temperatures the brass "monkey" which held the stack of canon balls contracted enough for the balls to roll off, hence the expression, Freeze the balls of a brass monkey.

Actually they wouldn't have used brass as such, it would have been a Naval Bronze. I agree also that the "balls" wouldn't be on deck except at times of conflict, but why bugger up a very plausible explanation when all that they can say is that to date Snopes just don't know. We will have to put it away with the conspiracy theories like where is flight MH 375 or who blew the twin towers etc.

I always thought that was the answer for the brass monkey, seems logical...

Chunder: Abbreviation for "watch out under" when a sailor was about to vomit whilst in the rigging..... Seems logical as well!

Ok, another

What is a garboard strake, and why is it called that??

What is a garboard strake, and why is it called that??

I admit I had to google it, my Middle Dutch is a bit rusty. Make sense though.

Easy one... cunningham

Garboard is the bottom plank. ie the one that mates along the majority of the rebate in the keel timber.

It is often thicker than the rest of the planking, except the sheer and in some boats some bilge strakes can also be thicker.

My guessing is that it would be to do with being thicker and therefore could guard against breakage/damage on grounding.

However, it could also be from old dutch "garderer" - to gather. Thus Gathering board. it gathers the frames, floors and keel together??

R

Garboard - The lowest part of a Vessel.

Garboard strakes (sometimes clled garboards in shipbuilding).

The lowest strake in a vessel, which abut upon the keel. They are also called ground or sand strakes.

OK, Todays question (and keep it Nautical please, jokes can go in the jokes thread!)

what is an escutcheon?

The plate upon which a ship's name is written is sometimes thus called.

Easy one... cunningham

Named after the skipper of an America's Cup racer who first put one in his mainsail.

This without looking up anything, but I would need to search for which yacht & year etc. J class I think.

What is a CUT SPLICE :?:

What was it's older name :?: :?: :?:

A splice joining two pieces of line together so that an eye is formed.

also known as a Crew Under Nautical Training Splice due to the shape of the eye.

Archived