Removal of salt build up

benny14

descaling/ pickling paste for stainless is nitric acid not phosphoric, never as yet come across a use for sulphuric acid other than wetcell batteries and dissolving clothes, sulphamic is a good wash for A/C chilled water lines particularly with those hideous condaria A/C units with the untreated steel boxlike evaporator, used a mix of phosphoric and hydrofluoric called concoil via a squirty bottle to clean refrig and A/C condensors and particularly fouled evaporators though the evaps were pretty quickly chased along with an alkyline coil cleaner to get the residue away and stop fuming in operation etc , most marine growth is best dealt with via hydrochloric/muriatic/ spirits of salts diluted 8 ish to 1 and pumped through each individual area/ component, always kept the jabsco pumps out of the acid loop........just made sense.......

Thanks guys. The boat in in Victoria (bottom of Vancouver Island) at the moment, for the Swiftsure race this coming weekend, I'm heading over Friday to try and get it in decent shape for the weekend, will give a few of the ideas here a go and let you know how I get on.

NevP, you are definitely right that a lot of the build up is corrosion, I'm also working on that seperately, but it's a lot harder to deal with. If I can get rid of the salt deposits before they start corrosion it's a bit easier...

Thanks!

descaling/ pickling paste for stainless is nitric acid not phosphoric,

There are now a couple of pickling products on the market that no longer have HF Acid, but there are still many that do, because Nitric on it's own is not quite as good at removing some of the weld scale, because it is not a metal. That is where the HF comes in. If you obtain yours from BOC for instance, then it does have HF in it in a sizable amount.

Read the warnings on whatever one you use and see if you have HF in it or not, because even though you want to treat Nitirc Acid with care, you need to treat it with even more care if HF is in it.

Sulfuric Acid is good for Aluminium and used extensively in anodizing.

CLR (Sulfamic) is a good one because it has a real hunger for Calcium. Can be found at Mega10, but it isn't cheap from there.

:thumbup:

This place has it at $90 per Kilo or $23 100gms.

http://www.ecplabchem.co.nz/

I've had lots of dealings with ECP over the last 8 years, great bunch of guys :thumbup:

Archived