Junior Sailing

Very much agree.

Do children of cruisers become adult cruisers or racers? Seems to me they become cruisers?

But then I expect races have children that want to race.

Do we have Auck sailing schools that follow the clips lines of teaching?

Wow this guy summed up what I thought but put it so well.

EVERY member of a Yacht club committee and Yachting NZ should watch this at least once a month until it is actioned.

As a kid that started life sailing in the Bucklands Beach Primary School pool in the early 80's I understand the process that has evolved today and I feel it is NOT working. My eldest child is about ready to start waterwise/sailing classes but I wonder have we got it right here in NZ?

While I am pondering this for next summer I have entered our keeler in the local winter series with my young family as crew. We have done one race and the kids are looking forward to the next one on Sunday what more can I ask for?

Suss your Waterwise deeper Tramper. Waterwise has given so many kids a crack at sailing many of whom went on and joined their local YC and some further through to World Champs. Waterwise is to be heavily encouraged in any way you can.

But Waterwise isn't a coaching/training thing, it leans more towards a have a go thing. After the kids get to play around and be silly buggers in the yachts, after what is often massive tear filled angst they are going to be eaten by sharks, I kid you knot as for a lot it's there 1st ever time on any sort of boat, for some it's even the 1st time in the ocean. They usually pick up basic sailing quite quickly and as much as you try to aim them one way or another it's not long before it's a giant waterborne game of tiggy, it's prime A Grade Export Quality fun for all. That is the way to start burying the hook before reeling them into a more formal structure and training, be it just weekend YC sailing/racing or a World Champs.

8 year olds today who will go on to become World Champs and Olympians will do Waterwise before they get there and for some it'll be their 1st go at sailing. That's not even mentioning the other upsides to it, of which there are many and some damn good ones. One upside many wouldn't think of is the Mums (and a few dads) who help with the WW sessions. For many it's their 1st time afloat so they find the instructors course challenging yet high informative. So not only are the kids learning their parents are as well and that can only be good for water sports and safety knowledge.

Support WW whenever and however you can. Don't forget WW is only community funded and big thanks to the many on the assorted communities, companies, organisations and individuals that have and are helping in so many ways.

If you get a chance to help dive on in. It's magnificent to see the joy on the faces of the kids and it's far far greater than you'll ever see in the faces of a crew hopping off after the AC winning race.

Absolutely Knot Me, Waterwise/yacht clubs introduce the kids well BUT what happens after that?

I don't know yet, part of the journey of parenthood I suppose! But don't worry whichever way my kids go I'll be there.

Kids did learn to sail program at Kohimarama Yacht Club. They had a lot of fun. They are now into volleyball and surf club, but that's fine by me also. Surf life saving club has similar problems.

Have told the grandsons they need to learn to sail and be my crew. That it needs to be sooner rather than later. For now they think this is the best, will this last? fingers crossed that it does. Lessons this summer.

I went to BB primary as well, just a tad before the swimming pool was built :)

At that time you could just about count the number boats on Tamaki on your fingers.

Archived