Weather

Fogg

Wow, they were unlucky and lucky at the same time. Looks like the mooring line is going under the green boat, so I'm guessing the green boat dragged into the white boat and destroyed the bow?

Got any more photos of the dramas Marshy?

sad to see her in such a state, I was there when she launched, I remember going aboard as a young tacker (late 70's early 80's) and being amazed at the microwave oven, radar and the mainsail that rolled away into the mast. Beautiful ship.

Seemed quite a few boats around the region dragged their moorings? Are we undersizing them?
Gezzzzsusssssss, don't wake up the barely sleeping giant F :lol:

A few boats came off moorings as some councils ave upped the size of the head ropes from big to f**king ridiculously stupidly big. In doing that many now don't fit the bollards on the boats so the boaters are tieing off to the buoy rope.... which in 99% of moorings is too small..... leading to a cluster fornication. So don't give them ammo to go stupid on the rest of a mooring.

Besides there are literally 1000's of moorings in greater Akl area and less than 0.2% of them had a issue, some not of their own doing. Hardly a crisis especially when you consider the weather and the time frame since the last similar weather. Longer the gap the lazier or more forgetful people become.

The word is Classique is fine and it's more cosmetic than structural. That's nice to hear

Wicked shot of that forestay.

I was looking at that boat when I was there the morning after it all happened and was wondering how the forestay even managed to get tangled around the other boat. It still looked like it was attached to its own mooring though.

Besides there are literally 1000's of moorings in greater Akl area and less than 0.2% of them had a issue, some not of their own doing. Hardly a crisis especially when you consider the weather and the time frame since the last similar weather. Longer the gap the lazier or more forgetful people become.

Easy to dismiss it like that but we've now had two of our neighbours drag their moorings in storms this year - one stopped a boat length in front of us! That's getting a little close to home for me.

It now seems very difficult to get insurance for a boat on a mooring which suggests there are systemic issues with how we are mooring boats. Maybe, for the sake of people who want to safely leave their boat on a mooring, we do need to wake the barely sleeping beast :shock: :shock:

Yes the Fluke is missing. Which makes me wonder when the Anchor was last lifted for inspection. I tried anchoring in that area, although closer out into the harbour when we were watching the round the world boats racing. I was surprised at how little there was in any holding in that area. Mostly a solid rock bottom and the Anchor would not grab anything. I had about 4 or 5 attempts before it managed to grab something.

Easy to dismiss it like that but we've now had two of our neighbours drag their moorings in storms this year - one stopped a boat length in front of us! That's getting a little close to home for me. Tell them to speak to the mooring contractors as there's no reason that needs to happen either in the regulations or just using pure common sense. Also if the contractor who normally does those mooring knew that was happening their sphincter would twitch as they are the easiest target to screw should a mooring go bad. Hence if they know there is a potential issue they will try to save their own arse, which leads to a safer mooring. 2 moorings in Akl represent around 0.027% of the total out there.

If the local authorities had their way your mooring would be costing you 2 grand a year, in fact in some places that is damn near what they pay each service. If your boat was in the BoI it would have to have a 4,000 kg weight on the bottom. And if that was the case all the boats on the inside row or 2 each side of the Bridge wouldn't be there as they would run aground on their own mooring each low tide. Also the BoI seabed is becoming littered with dead 2,000 and 4,000kg lumps of concrete. In Akl many moorings would have 2 to 4 wheels on them. To get 4000kg would mean you'd need 10 or 11 wheels.

It now seems very difficult to get insurance for a boat on a mooring which suggests there are systemic issues with how we are mooring boats. Maybe, for the sake of people who want to safely leave their boat on a mooring, we do need to wake the barely sleeping beast :shock: :shock:

Two theories in play with that.

One is that it's more multis that have the issues and a lot of the at seems to stem from large racing ones going tits up in the Nth Hemisphere (and the odd one off Chch) so the 'over all perceived risk' is high. Personally that's bollocks as what as a Mod70 arse up got to do with a 8.5 in the Waitamata.

The other is that people on moorings are poor or they would be on a marina. Poor people do less maintenance so have or are likely to have more issues*, are slow paying bills and all that crap so if you don't need that aggravation then slowly lift rates and/or requirements until they all just go away. Obviously while there certainly is some truth to that it's the whole truth and just doesn't apply to a lot of boats on moorings. Again just more big business bollocks but I know for a fact there are some who think exactly that and not just in the insurance game.

* - If you have no life like me and look at mooring failures, you will find a disproportionate number of them are poorly maintain boats.

That anchor is as it's supposed to be John.

A bit of a conflicting view on the anchor going on there fellas.

1. I can imagine .. may have even seen single fluke ships anchors like that, stupid as they may be.

2. It does look like it has corrosion or damage where a fluke may have been, which implies that it may actually have once been a giant oversize fisherman/ stock anchor.

which is it , do we go with the very cool named SloopJohnB and the wheeled one , or the knotty one ( who makes his living from such things.)

maybe a poll?

It may have been a broken pick or it maybe as it was built, both are possible options, I can't remember if it was broken or knot when it was pushed off the mooring barge. Classique didn't break it.

I'm picking that it was just a fluke that it broke, possibly a chain reaction?

I'd say you are a bit warped...

Are you "pulling his chain" Clipper?

Got a link for that?

You xxxxxxx , I was trying to work that in somehow but twasn't fast enuff :lol: :lol:

Were you shackled to your computers Knotme? Wal really shank'd you there :D

I know its hard to fathom, but you Need to scope these thing out faster bro, or you may appear out of your depth :crazy:

Archived