new to me boat project, storfidra 26

A good engine rebuild shop can repair pretty serious crank damage. You have to take it completely out, and to a rebuild shop (NOT just a diesel mechanic - they will pass the work off to a rebuild place anyway, and clip the ticket). They can measure it up and give you a cost of rebuild, normally with a warranty....

Once you have a quote, you can decide what to do.

Hi Erice, I have the wee Spencer next to you, I did feel a bit guilty the other weekend when my engine started first pop then we sailed off the mooring anyway while you were working away...

On the the recommendation of the Yanmar chaps at Westhaven I took the bits of my donkey (YSE8) to these guys http://www.enginerebuilders.co.nz/ in Ponsonby. Probably not the cheapest but not horrendous and, well, as you probably heard, my donkey ticks over nicely despite my abuse.

the seller did hint

i should consider and outboard...

but the stern is so high

got the wife to call japan, but they are on their religious obon holiday at the moment, so will have to wait a few days before i can price engines and parts from there

Having gone from an outboard on Mercenary to a Diesel on the new boat - i agree an Outboard for simplicity is great. If its broken its easy to fix or replace and easy to take home.

But for cruising you really really cant beat a Diesel! Charging capacity, Grunt, Noise when motoring, and Fuel consumption are just so much better!

Hi Erice, I sent you a long winded reply.

Re the OB idea, the high, pointy back end it problematic - this guy made it work: http://sv-ulladh-log.blogspot.co.nz/200 ... chive.html

Personally I hate outboards... noisy, heavy, fuel guzzling things that ruin the lines of a good boat. I love being able to carry them into the garage and rebuild them on the bench though :lol:

thanks for pm Dambo, and the link above

i hadn't fully looked through that page on the 60's havsfidra 20'

the 70's storfidra 25' was originally called the havsfidra II + is basically a stretched version

there's a cutaway drawing at the bottom of that page

have on the boat painting it :D

and at home trying to fix the external corrosion on the exhaust elbow seating area

to deal with the missing conrod bearing, have been pricing 3 options

- cheapest self repair.........head gasket, sump gasket, 1 set conrod bearings + carefully lap? the marked surfaces......$600 just for parts

- import from uk, short block mitsubishi L2E industrial engine, $3000?

(vetus; gearbox, head, cooling system, starter, alternator, raw water pump, fuel lift pump + fuel filter assembly to be added on

- a complete new marine engine

this morning had finally gotten the epoxy steel repairs, to the cooling system elbow cap seat done well enough to fill the corroded in core with water and see if any leaked through

STM1450.png

it did :thumbdown:

perhaps because of the vigorous cleaning needed to open up the corroded brass tubes

core leaks would allow hot engine coolant to be pumped into the cold raw water and then fired out the exhaust

just guessing on the vetus price for a new core, just under a grand?, and as not certain the old core will ever come out or how long the epoxy repairs to the elbow seat would hold hot water under pressure........

so full engine replacement is looking more + more likely

check your coolant level before starting, investigate and leaks and change the coolant regularly boys + girls

otherwise needlessly bad things will happen to even low use engines

now waiting for a new craftsman cm2.16 engine to come from diamond diesels in the uk

based on the same mitsubishi L2E engine as the vetus M2.06 in there now

same base engine in many new marine engines; sole mini17 + westebeke 12C + 12D

hopefully it will drop right in to the current controls + piping installation and leave me with lots of import spares like, head, injector pump + injectors, starter, alternator, water pump, raw water pump, fuel lift pump, filters, impellers, anodes etc.

while waiting have cleaned up the engine bay and have been able to install access and shelves in about 50ltrs of dead space between the end of the galley and the cockpit gas bottle space

bay clean.JPG

filler 2.JPG

up and under shelfsm.jpg

sort of finished the extra shelving now so carrying on with painting and changing the lights over to LED

meanwhile diamond diesels in the uk have sent me the BOL for the ordered engine

with the vessel name and an AIS tracker can watch it steaming towards nz

currently heading to beruit

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/hom ... :235071275

takes a looong time to track ship after main page

then zoom out

still waiting on the engine so finally got around to breaking out the multimeter to try and understand the windgen + solar panel + regulator

marlec-hrs504-regulator-12v-for-rutland-504-wind-charger--[2]-353-p.jpg

the regulator has 2 leds and on a overcast day (poor solar) with no wind (no wind gen) was showing 2 greens - good!, 1 for 'charging' and 1 for healthy battery voltage

but on a sunny + windy day was showing orange and green?

the green was for healthy battery voltage but why orange for charging?

(turns out the top led is actually 2 leds side by side, green on left for charging + red on right for regulating. so when when too much voltage is being produced both leds come on and show as a combined orange)

the 50watt solar panel checked out fine but even spinning around at top speed the rutland 503 wind gen had no output....the rotor also wobbling inside the stator, so took it, and the mast, down to fault-find and maybe change the bearings

inside was full of evil black dust but though gritty the bearings weren't worn, however the plastic bearing housing was hugely over-sized, meaning the bearings had been turning inside their plastic housing. shimmed it all snug again with bits of beer can and reassembled but still no output....

at a guess the bearings got dry? the outer surfaces started turning, which quickly wore the plastic housing seats, making the fan wobble, which allowed the fore+aft rotating magnets to eat into the fixed stator windings, (the evil black dust), shorting them and killing any output???

will have to go back and check, but so far i'm very happy that the 50watt solar panel has been performing so well and unhappy with the too-many moving parts wind gen.

so instead of replacing the wind gen for $500?

i may just put another silent + trouble-free 50w panel up and plumb that into the windgen side of the regulator

back of the boat looking a lot cleaner now too

engine now here and sitting in the back of the car

hoping to get it onto the boat this month

but the recent mission has been to set up an old windows xp netbook on the boat as better, faster plotter than the clunky, slow 20yo furuno

opencpn software is on the computer and have loaded it with digital versions of all the nz charts released by linz

BUT, have not been able to get NMEA data from the GPS to computer via serial to usb converter

- NMEA is good as it supplies gps position to the DSC VHF

- serial to usb converter driver installed, device manager shows it com6, baud rate 4800

- opencpn connection created at com6, baud rate 4800

net suggests the 2 NMEA wires should connect to pin 9(gnd) and pin 2(rx)

but have tried all possible connections with no success. opencpn nmea debugging never showing anything received

guess next step is to use device manager to lower the com port buffers...

open to other suggestions...

nmea bad.jpg

I don't know where you got pin 9 from?? Normal is 2,3, and 5;

RS-232 (regular PC “COM port”)

The default standard for serial port on computers is RS-232. It uses 3-wires consisting of a

transmit signal “TD” (pin 3 of the DB9 connector from the computer perspective), a receive

signal “RD” (pin 2 of the DB9 connector), and a signal ground “SG” (pin 5 of the DB9

connector).

I'm off to Wellington on a flight now, but if you can't sort it from there, post back or give me a ring and I'll help you sort it.

Matt, 0221539176