Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

Interesting thread

We have been looking for a 50' cruiser for the last year and everything we have seen here is either at least 3/4 of a mi or a POS.

So we leave in six weeks to by in the Med

It's looking likely that for less than $300k nz we will buy a yacht less than 5 years old and fitted out to a level not seen here.

The biggest question on my mind is how low with my initial offer do I go ?

50, 70, 80 % of asking price ??

We will sail home, which is also a bonus

Planning on taking a year in total on and off but if it takes two years then I won't be crying.

JON my friend.

Make allowances for 110 volt. Most EURO USA Boats are wired for 110 volt - Shore power 110 volt as well.

New Caledonia is 110 volts electricity system. Other Islands will need to be researched perhaps on your journey home if you are going to reply on shore power.

Gen set 110 volt as well. OK if 110 volt appliances aren't a problem for you to obtain when replacement is required.

This could be a reason NZ prices are higher - 240 volt wired.

All the best.

OC.

US boats definitely 110V 60Hz. They can also have a non standard colour code. I don't know if any NZ regs make that something that has to be rectified or not.

Europe is 220V 50Hz ( We are 230V 50Hz) and we adopted the European Colour code, so is not an issue.

110V means more current required to get the same power, which means it requires heavier gauge cable and high current rated switches and thus tends to be a bit more expensive than 220/230V installations. But any difference is not going to be that much.

I have heard stories of ex Charter boats from Europe being really thrashed, so something to perhaps be aware of and ensure you get a really good survey.

And in my view, all the European and US boats have never been made to suit our NZ Ocean conditions and are far too light. If you are looking at a Boat to sail the Gulf or reasonably sheltered waters, then OK, but if you want a blue water cruiser, I would rather have an NZ built boat any day and that is why many NZ built Hulls are more expensive. NZ builders build to suit our conditions and NZ boats tend to be around for a very very long time.

US and European Boats are cheap for two reasons. The cheap ones come off a production line. That saves a significant cost. But every single model is identical. Cabinetry is light weight and all looks the same. NZ stuff tends to be solid real wood Cabinetry and the Hulls are built solid. We simply don't have the market to enable production line building here.

We looked at US boats initially but discounted them for two reasons being, 110v the other being the same boat in the US is about 20% more expensive.

Also we don't get to sail across the Atlantic, so that makes three disadvantages

As for the electrics of the Euro boats well I'm taking the Electrician on both the purchase trip and the real one.

Yes we are only interested in owner versions that haven't been charted.

And are looking at above average production / semi production models.

Staying away from the average bear hopefully.

The 1020 was definitely not sold for 15k! It did sell for what seems like a bargin but mainly because the owner's where overseas and needed out asap.

That was more the situation that created the bargin not the type of boat or condition creating the bargin.

Me personally I think a bendy boat or a janola bottle (jeanneau?) Would be fine if you want something that looks more like an apartment block than a boat and you didn't intend to leave the relative shelter of the hauraki.

Every few years the imports bring out a newer model which makes the older ones worth less just like a car. As much as I love kiwi boat's the amount of boat for the dollar of the imports would be hard to over look depending on the type of sailing you wanted to do. I think the first 47.7 from overseas are amazing value but still not sure I would want to own one!

Interesting thread

We have been looking for a 50' cruiser for the last year and everything we have seen here is either at least 3/4 of a mi or a POS.

It's looking likely that for less than $300k nz we will buy a yacht less than 5 years old and fitted out to a level not seen here.

Planning on taking a year in total on and off but if it takes two years then I won't be crying.

JON my friend.

Make allowances for 110 volt. Most EURO USA Boats are wired for 110 volt - Shore power 110 volt as well.

New Caledonia is 110 volts electricity system. Other Islands will need to be researched perhaps on your journey home if you are going to reply on shore power.

Gen set 110 volt as well. OK if 110 volt appliances aren't a problem for you to obtain when replacement is required.

All the best.

OC.

New Cal is 240/50hz as is all of Europe, Tahiti is a bit of a mix with quite a bit of 60hz stuff,Micronesia, Pago pago as well as the left coast of japan and of course Hawaii are 60hz as for yanky wiring it seems to differ from state to state colorwise with either black or white as phase as does European worked on a 160'er that had green as phase#3 from spain as with everything though , the 50/60hz thing can be blamed on the seppos and their eagerness not to have another treaty of Versailles after ww2 so they sent AEG out to build dynamos for power stations wasn't till the mid 50's they realised they had a slight dilemma on their hands with the Germans banging in 50hz gear while the yanks were 60hz, apparently there was a referendum of sorts and the yanks said live with it we're fine

Interesting thread

JON my friend.

All the best.

OC.

New Cal is 240/50hz as is all of Europe, Tahiti is a bit of a mix with quite a bit of 60hz stuff,Micronesia, Pago pago as well as the left coast of japan and of course Hawaii are 60hz as for yanky wiring it seems to differ from state to state colorwise with either black or white as phase as does European worked on a 160'er that had green as phase#3 from spain as with everything though , the 50/60hz thing can be blamed on the seppos and their eagerness not to have another treaty of Versailles after ww2 so they sent AEG out to build dynamos for power stations wasn't till the mid 50's they realised they had a slight dilemma on their hands with the Germans banging in 50hz gear while the yanks were 60hz, apparently there was a referendum of sorts and the yanks said live with it we're fine

Thanks L4 . When I was there 110 vol.t Did not realize the electricity is now,

electricity (5, 10 or 15 A breakers, 220 VAC) at each berth; Town marina. From web site.

If you have a lot on electricity use like air conditioning TV , computers, Electric cooking or NZ want to run a heater, TV - Computer, lights Electric jug, toaster and more - You will need a genset or find a marina with 30amp electricity or 3 phase power.

At 15 amps you can't run much. A 2000 watt heater will cause the circuit breaker action if you turn anything else on. A nuisance trying to remember heater. then what ever for so long then heater on again. Raining and the breaker clicks on pain pain or night long. or rum and coke and extra blankets to keep warm.

Myself I would always have a genset direct wiring to electrics panel board, then use the shore power when all other have been attended to.

OC

Royale as much as I like an 88 (my first keeler) I'm not sure if I would want to sail one home from Europe.

I would sail this though:

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Hanse-470-e-470e-2725596/Italy#.U9Xh1fmSxqU

Deep keel, bow thruster, watermaker, liferaft, slab reefing, self tacking, LPG cooking and one electric winch for the old buggers.

It ticks a lot of boxes for the price.

Nice boat :thumbup: it would be an epic adventure to sail it back to NZ

I have nothing against imports but I would recommend looking at some in NZ to decide weather you like them before taking the trip. I looked at a cheap bene 50 as a live aboard but when I saw it I was not impressed. I also looked at a moody 40 with all the extras and to be honest having all that ageing gear gave me the shits. I think it had 30 through hull fittings.

Good luck with your trip. I hope it all works out for ya :thumbup:

been there done that recently, sold the coyote with the intention of getting a new race boat with some family cruising in mind. Would have preferred a young 11 and there were a couple on the market within the budget at the time, but maintenance and marina costs finally swayed me into a 1020, fits in my 10.5m Marina, can afford a new set of sails every few of years and I get to go class racing a couple of times a year (now all I need is some excuses for the performance). Wife happy as we can cruise with the kids which we pretty much did every weekend in summer.

Did look at imports as well, more out of curiosity but in my mind way to much to go wrong, hence I ended up with a boat with no pressure or hot water, but do have a new paint job, sails and electronics. Paid middle of the road price but having looked at 1020's 25k cheaper I still think the boat was a good deal in the long run. 30year old boat and the surveyor could not find one thing to mention in his report even though the boat has been raced most of its life. Hopefully when I am done with it in 15 years time it will be just as good

Craig there is no way you will own it in 15 years, I'll put money on it.

The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour

If you have a lot on electricity use like air conditioning TV , computers, Electric cooking or NZ want to run a heater, TV - Computer, lights Electric jug, toaster and more - You will need a genset or find a marina with 30amp electricity or 3 phase power.

At 15 amps you can't run much. A 2000 watt heater will cause the circuit breaker action if you turn anything else on. A nuisance trying to remember heater. then what ever for so long then heater on again. Raining and the breaker clicks on pain pain or night long. or rum and coke and extra blankets to keep warm.

Myself I would always have a genset direct wiring to electrics panel board, then use the shore power when all other have been attended to.

OC

most use what I called the magic box to run the boat dockside, bring in 2 separate (same phase) legs of 15amp power join and run through a 30amp fuse and voila you have 30amps to fire up all the baubles and bangles that now seem so essential, have made a few of these boxes for various boats I've been on and no probs thus far, it does pay to check the 2 inputs with a multimeter in case the dock is 3 phase and liable to try to pop out 400v if different phases are used

OC

most use what I called the magic box to run the boat dockside, bring in 2 separate (same phase) legs of 15amp power join and run through a 30amp fuse and voila you have 30amps to fire up all the baubles and bangles that now seem so essential, have made a few of these boxes for various boats I've been on and no probs thus far, it does pay to check the 2 inputs with a multimeter in case the dock is 3 phase and liable to try to pop out 400v if different phases are used

Don't think the marina manager would be shouting any beers.

Typical cheap skate Boaties. That is the quickest way for all marinas to impose electricity charges for their berths all ready high fees as an additional fee by having locks on the electricity boxes.

What about the other boat when he wants to plug on. Sees both leads going to the same boat.

I know what I would do pull the lead.

Not quite on the topic. Similar attitudes caused Russel radio SSB ocean going position reporting weather reports to be discontinued.

OC.