Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

I agree, and if anything is negative, I hope it is toward the cheap Euro production boats. Not all Euro boats are bad. I would love a Swan for instance. :wink: But as for good solid Kiwi Boats, I hope ones reading this thread will get the point that they will tend to out last and in fact many already have outlasted many cheap of the light weight things.

BNG, an Auction that starts off high and decreases as time goes on, is called a Dutch Auction. Yes I agree it's a stupid way to sell a Boat, but maybe a great way for someone to get a Bargain.

I am the "stupid person" you guys are referring to. I have sold all my boats this way and it works. The boat sells and I move on. I think its stupid to list your boat for the same price for over a year and then blame the state of the market. I don't go boating to make money. Sell your boat for what someone will pay you for it and move on. Life is too short.

+1

I don't go boating to make money. Sell your boat for what someone will pay you for it and move on. Life is too short.
The phrase economists use is 'Opportunity Cost'.

Basically you value the potentially missed yachting opportunities higher than the extra bucks you may get if you if you hold out for a long time waiting for top dollar. I hope that's explained right.

I think your thinking is spot on so I'll chuck in another +1 for said thinking.

It took me a while to get that into my thick skull when I started in business. Now I often think 'Hold for the $10, which may take a long time, or take just the $8 now and move on'. I do think it's something many need to consider more often and that it does work both ways. As an example as a buyer - Do I keep plugging away at Booboo for an undetermined amount of time in the hope he'll drop an extra $200 off that mainsail or do I just pay it and be out there using it on Saturday?

I'm the same - pragmatic vendor however stating up front that you will keep dropping the price just encourages people to wait, especially in the market that is described at length in this thread. So yeah, why hurry to make an offer on that, will be cheaper next month? Even though its probably a well present boat of good design, not too big for marinas and a great entry level cruiser for a family. It could be quite a self defeating way to sell. Deflationary.

I'm selling BNG sometime, but I wont list it til spring and I'm comfortable with that. Why? cos it might sit around for 6 months in winter then people wonder why

KM your Norths metaphor kinda doesnt work as Norths wouldn't keep dropping their pants til you bought as they sell on design value primarily and price down the pecking order. So its unlikely to happen the way you explain. Its called value based selling and the value isn't about the price...

+1

To me the cost of purchase is much less important than the on going costs. I buy the boat whilst employed and pay what it takes. ( we pretty much paid the man his asking price because the rest of the deal was so good). But when we stop working and go sailing we are on a modest, fixed income and the budget will be very important.

I'm the same - pragmatic vendor however stating up front that you will keep dropping the price just encourages people to wait, especially in the market that is described at length in this thread. So yeah, why hurry to make an offer on that, will be cheaper next month? Even though its probably a well present boat of good design, not too big for marinas and a great entry level cruiser for a family. It could be quite a self defeating way to sell. Deflationary.

I'm selling BNG sometime, but I wont list it til spring and I'm comfortable with that. Why? cos it might sit around for 6 months in winter then people wonder why

KM your Norths metaphor kinda doesnt work as Norths wouldn't keep dropping their pants til you bought as they sell on design value primarily and price down the pecking order. So its unlikely to happen the way you explain. Its called value based selling and the value isn't about the price...

I understand where you are coming from. I made that comment encourage potential buyers to act now instead of waiting for summer. If they choose to wait they may miss out. This happened with selling my last boat. I kept lowering the price and then I had a bidding war and it went back up to the asking price. It's Just a sales tactic that has worked for me before.

So in the end it worked like a $1 reserve item then, boosting up to what you wanted. I'm probably wired up a bit different and need a little more certainty on a circa 30k item. It worked for you tho.

Agree probably not the best example to use......most of the time. I just saw Boo's post so he was probably fresh in the mind. But many do try to squeeze a bit more out of places and are often willing to wait a fair while in the attempt.

It'll be interesting to see how the punters, amongst many others, deal with the new world we now have post the GFC. I'm sure most haven't realised it's here but they will, they will have little choice. In amongst that I see many vendors having to change their game plan and think hard 'Do I take 80% now or wait for the 100 no matter if it may take years?', Hence if you're in the market wave cash notes under noses and push the old line 'A bird in the hand........'.

Has anyone one a real web search on a decent race boat. Search the Pogo 850 and see just how cheap an imported race boat would be (circa 1998 -2001). Cheap boats are for a reason. I know just how much can be spent on a sub 30 footer.

Problem is there are no decent small (under 30 foot) racer/cruisers worth importing. Well none that are better then the current NZ range or Ross, Young, Elliott etc...

This was a very interesting read. I'm wondering if the market has changed much since July 2014, when this thread was started? Has a correction happened?

Also, Jon. How did the boat buying and negotiations go in the med?

Short answer is yes the market has had a significant corection, especially with the older boats.

Jon is in tonga right now but he did buy a boat up there and sailed it back. All went well for him but im sure he will reply at some stage.

I juat brought a 2007 beneteau oceanis 50 in france and head up there with the family next week to slowly sail it home.

Problem is there are no decent small (under 30 foot) racer/cruisers worth importing. Well none that are better then the current NZ range or Ross, Young, Elliott etc...

IRC has a bit to answer for, we have some of the english designs in Singapore, the Corby 29 and Ker 32, they are terrible boats compared to something like a T30... 

Melges 32 or Mumm 30 are still nice boats, but the cost of transport/importing is restrictive for a small boat compared to a bigger boat you can sail home. 

You could even say it's an assault on the middle class. We either must be ultra rich or on the bones or our arses, this is the current norm in both NZ and the world as a whole - I probably sound like a whacko but think about it.... Look at the number of multi-million dollar boats and the number of people with nothing.

And the next generation of boat owners have been marketed too that unless it foils, does 50kts and can do a complete race in under 15mins it is simply a sh*t box you can't be seen in.

There is a following generation who simply have no idea what you can use yachts for and how much fun those things can be. I can't understand why with all the promotion about how good sailing is etc that YNZ does, they must spend 25 to nearly 30 seconds a year promoting sailing :roll:

Generation skiff is in the house.

I used to think any boat with just a mainsail was boring. Infact, my 4 year old has been telling me how when she is big enough she wants a boat with a mainsail, head sail AND a spinnaker (I've been schooling her up).

Then I showed her this clip, and now she just wants a boat with a mainsail.....

• Upvote 1