Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

I looked at importing, by the time you factor in all the costs it just does not stack up.

I don't disagree with your point Frank, you would need to find quite a good deal offshore for it to work out, and a boat in good nick that has been regularly used also, if your only aim is a profit.

But I do wonder how quoting the illiterate rantings of the banished 'OC' help make your point? I never could, and apparently still can't, string 4 words together to make even part of a useable sentence.

ha ha - agreed Mattm.

Frank - I thought your arguement' "The old rule of thumb for the engine in yachts was 2HP per Ton, now its more like 4HP per ton. So there are a significant number of older boats that are under-powered." was pretty funny.  It doesn't tell me that older boats are under powered, just that newer boats are saiLed less!

• Upvote 1

So you are saying a prepped 930 is 25k to paint, I call bullshit on that. The big name is either too busy or is charging insurance rates.

Fairing is the most labour intensive part, most charge their monkeys out at 70 per hour. A boat that needs a few rounds of bog, sand, paint, bog, sand paint will be expensive but surely a canoe like a 930 could be done pretty quickly.

Workshop overheads, undercover storage is per foot per day, prep time can make it expensive. Materials, cant see that being much more than 1500k for a gold plated job on a 930. Final squirt, that is the easy part.

I would expect a 930 that needs minor fairing etc to be about 5-8k max, or if you do it yourself and pay for someone to come around home and squirt it then its peanuts.

I painted my 30'er earlier this year KM, I rang Gloss to get an idea of what it might cost and their quick quote worked out on the phone was $16k,+ GST.  Gulp...  I doubt we'll get much more than that for the boat in another 5 years if we sell it.  (nothing against Gloss, they were very helpful)

Total cost to do it all myself (and like you say, get someone around to squirt it) was $6K.

I know a Ross 830 top sides paint job done on the mainland a couple of months ago cost 6.5k odd, including all prep, removing the old paint completely, fairing etc. and removing and refitting the boarding platform.

If KM was including painting the decks, including sorting out non skid areas and all the fairing that would be required on the decks of a race boat etc, that would take substantially longer, plus antifoul, it could come to that sort of money, especially done at Auckland prices....

A very tidy 1220 called Placido was listed at 120K, it sold a few weeks back. Others are listed around 140 to 150K but they are not moving at all. Anecdotally I heard some of them have issues, I think the owners have not adjusted to market reality.

We bought that boat :-) Should really change my avatar...

It was by far the best on the market but obviously still with an endless list of (mostly minor) things to attend to. The survey highlighted some items that were fixed by the vendor, but a sound boat and we are very happy. Sold my 88 at a very realistic price to make sure it got sold but on the up side, this market did allow us to upgrade to Placido which a few years ago would have been out of reach. I don't expect the market to change anytime soon and it doesn't really matter as we are in for the long term on this one. 

We looked at a lot of boats and just kept coming back to the 1220. It fitted our needs and I just felt happier with a good condition but older 1220 than with an equivalently priced 10-year-old AWB - just my opinion and time will tell if we were right. 

• Upvote 2

ha ha - agreed Mattm.

Frank - I thought your arguement' "The old rule of thumb for the engine in yachts was 2HP per Ton, now its more like 4HP per ton. So there are a significant number of older boats that are under-powered." was pretty funny.  It doesn't tell me that older boats are under powered, just that newer boats are saiLed less!

Depends on if you are a cruiser or a racer :-) 

As mentioned somewhere before, initial capital cost is only a small consideration. The biggest cost (opex) for most, will be marina costs, followed by haulouts or sails, and insurances all of which is "length dependent". This is especially for boats that just missed the marina length cutoff length. At the moment a lot of boats are getting away with it i.e. for 1020 the can squeeze into a 10m and 1220 in to a 12m berth. No doubt in future, things will tighten up and a 1220 will have to be in a 13.5 or 14 m berth, and opex cost could be significant as it will be on going and one way (up). For some reasons, designers design boats that just go outside these marina lengths by 0.1 or 0.2 meters.

If in the market should seriously think about buying boats that loa are 10m, 12m or 14m for max bang for your bucks.

slight sidetrack - the add says its a Farr boat but it looks more like one of the  2 or 3 Jack Cropp 45ft'rs built, any thoughts??

I was thinking thats the most un-Farr like 'Farr' I've ever seen...........

Or . . . depends on whether you're a sailor . . . or not!

In my early sailing/racing days the iron headsail was an absolute last resort, I was "Hardcore".

Once I got married and started a family the sailing became more cruising orientated and the iron headsail got more use, it was inevitable, but the important thing was we enjoyed it as a family. Today the boys are competent handling a yacht and take the boat out on their own. I enjoy a good sail/cruise more than ever but I certainly don't feel guilty about using the iron headsail :-)