Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

Well, at the risk of beating the kiwi built drum, there were some good old kiwi boats and designs well represented through Tonga and Fiji on our winter cruise. Mostly our buddies but a couple of Alan Smiths P38's, Navire for one and Tumua after the chainplate.

Manutaki a Beale of about 40ft, ex matabele.

Riada, Davidson. Taranui, Whiting. Mahia,Alan Wright.Toronui, Bruce Clark. Domino 2 at musket..Lidgard I think from memory.

All 70s through late 80s boats ,perhaps early 90s,mostly wood or wood composite or early Glass ....taking the beatings on passage as well as being great cruising platforms around the islands.

Life in the old girls yet.

• Upvote 3

Hi MCP, 

I know its been on sale for a while but no other info. as the others have said, second hand boats are getting cheap....

does anyone know any inside info about the Miura 31that is for sale at tauranga?  Any details, history, gossip would be good.

Good little boat price seems ok , many been off shore Two been round the block made in south nebe SA in the 70s , several mods by year of manufacture with cabin changes , the. Shibora could be a worry ,but go check it out ,

The boat was stripped out and refitted about 7 or 8 years ago by Ian Wilson from Tauranga, as it was really run down. I'm not sure about its final state. It was then sold and used mainly for fishing out the entrance as far I could gather and was berthed at the marina at Sulphur Point. It was then moved to a mooring in Pilot Bay and I haven't seen it out much, it may have been bought with the berth and then stored on the mooring just to get the berth which are hard or near impossible to buy, normally. Good luck.

It is an orphan , here and may be hard the get back the investment , I would offer less , the motor is suspect these days so prepare to up grade or mother it , I brought a boat of the 80s and installed a new beta and it changed the boat , and less worries , but check the hull most of all , get a hull survey if worried , but sometimes a boat comes along totally not what you were looking for and it won't go away so that maby the one , it happened to me and I went all out to make it up to date with all mod cons and good paint , and after 18 years of crusing with it I can't look back at the cost just forward to the rest of it , we are only caretakers of these things for the next caretaker

I think it just got cheaper...https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1454625536.htm

What questions should I ask when I call...and can I have some wisdom from anyone about how they were built...likely issues, etc

What’s happening out there?

Well, one recent data point for you... SR26 Motorboat changed hands this week for $11,500 in cruising trim + another $7k for a set of race sails. Last listed by previous owner 9 months ago for over $30k (32 if memory serves). The vendor this time around had bought another boat and so listed with a $1 reserve, so it was probably always going to be a bargain. Still, there were 205 watchers on TM. I'm seeing a lot of boats on the market that just aren't moving.

Well, one recent data point for you... SR26 Motorboat changed hands this week for $11,500 in cruising trim + another $7k for a set of race sails. Last listed by previous owner 9 months ago for over $30k (32 if memory serves). The vendor this time around had bought another boat and so listed with a $1 reserve, so it was probably always going to be a bargain. Still, there were 205 watchers on TM. I'm seeing a lot of boats on the market that just aren't moving.

. Yes sometimes attitudes need to change for the vendor before a boat will sell, I looked at a boat that needed major work listed at 120, I liked its potential and had just sold my boat and so offered 70, it was refused, 2 years or more later with the boat in worse condition and the vendor getting realistic I bought it for 40 odd. Owning 2 boats at once is not good if you only want one. This run of nice weather makes boats seem a good idea, even the wife wants to go sailing.

Sellers need to be realistic. I turned down an offer of $90000 for Sundreamer days after I listed it. Paid a years marina fees and then sold her for $70000. But if you own 2 boats (I did) or have a project under way (I have that too) the price you sell for is less important than the cost of keeping.

End of the day, you’ll feel a lot better once the burden is gone.

Sellers need to be realistic. I turned down an offer of $90000 for Sundreamer days after I listed it. Paid a years marina fees and then sold her for $70000. But if you own 2 boats (I did) or have a project under way (I have that too) the price you sell for is less important than the cost of keeping.

End of the day, you’ll feel a lot better once the burden is gone.

. Sale of the century for a fast catamaran so far., !