Marina Berth Costs

smithy09

For a 12mt berth with a long term stay -

Give or take 200mm and per 30 or 31 days.

$540 in Bayswater

$623.10 in Westhaven

$531 in Westpark

$805.50 in Orakei

$480 in Gulf Harbour (as at 2008)

$520 in Pine Harbour

$558 in Half Moon Bay

$510 in Opua

$780 in Waikawa, Havelock and Picton but that is visitor rates, contact office for lease rates

Bayswater has easy 2mts depth right thru at low tide. Your thinking of Westpark Wheels. Marginal at dead low for keel boats I'm told and has a wobbly channel i.e it moves a far bit.

Yup. Gulf harbour has got to be the pick.

Yeah but you've got to be happy with everything else as well as price cos in the twinkling of an email you get a notification bumping the rate up to close the gap again. Having said that, I think that it's GH strategy to keep their prices just a touch behind the main 'in town' marinas cos GH is perceived to be that little bit less convenient. But if, like me, you do most of your cruising N or E of the Whangaparaoa area then GH is actually more convenient. If I'm returning from Kawau say, I can be back home in Herne Bay quicker if I berth in GH and then drive home, than if I kept sailing all the way to Westhaven and drove the last 5 mins. But it's horses for courses.

True, true! And a nice Marina to boot, as long as you don't want to use the fizz boat ramp which is bloody dangerous when there is anything south blowing.. I think this might be my pick if all works well.

I think you'll find you'll have trouble with an 11 m yacht on any boat ramp in any wind direction!

Actually on a day when a fresh southerly comes up during the day it can be a great spectator sport to wander down to the GH boat ramp with a couple of beers and watch the show as the fleet returns to their trailers... :crazy:

Don't get hung up on cost with a marina, what you need to be thinking about is what you want your boat for and how frequently. The choice of marina maximises the value from the boat, no point forking out a truck load on a boat if a $50 saving a month on a marina means you use it only half as much.

For example, if you want to cruise, GH is the go, if you're shallow draft and primarily a few longer cruising trips a year, then maybe Westpark. If you're doing a major restoration or something then of course somewhere close to home and if your primary interest is racing, particularly mid-week, then nothing else gets close to Westhaven for convenience for crew, numbers and quality.

then nothing else gets close to Westhaven for convenience for crew, numbers and quality.

Except Bayswater when you and your crew live right above it :thumbup:

Bayswater does have good facilities. Can even leave home take boat to floaty doack and back home in under an hour.

Oooops, my wife informs me I made a mistake. Our berth costs us $442.68 /mnth. I had an old price. So I guess all those figures may not be exact. I know we got a 2% rise last Oct and Waikawa did not. We were told it was due to the on going costs of dredging our channel. Thing is, it hasn't been dredged yet, nor since the marina was first expanded.

I've been at bayswater when the marina fingers have been moving up and down a foot or so the whole length and boats.. 15 metre plus boats have been rolling so hard I recall wondering if they ever hook their rigs up.

And then there's the work philosophy... work on your boat on the berth and you're gone by lunchtime... has that changed?

, then nothing else gets close to Westhaven for convenience for crew, numbers and quality.

On the downside racing out of Whaven means crowded reaching courses. We have olympic triangles laid in clear water. Just not the numbers of boats.

I've been at bayswater when the marina fingers have been moving up and down a foot or so the whole length and boats.. 15 metre plus boats have been rolling so hard I recall wondering if they ever hook their rigs up.

And then there's the work philosophy... work on your boat on the berth and you're gone by lunchtime... has that changed?

Only a foot, so you were there on a calm day then :) Ya wanna see it when they really get moving. But they hang together and boats don't get broken. No rotting water or fuel issues that's for sure :) You can work on your boat but no machinery outside i/e grinders and the like. They don't want decks covered in crap like what often happens in Westhaven for example. They are an anal bunch but the marina has all the toys and then some. Also has security which is very top end, every boat gets sussed at a maximum interval of 2 hours 24/7/365. If anything doesn't look right they will sort it and/or drop you a txt, which is handy.

Bayswater and Orakei are the 2 marinas that are what the rest will be doing. The Marina Owners Ass are writing up a std Code of Practice which will apply nationwide. Being newer those two are where the others will be soon. Westhaven has the most work to do and is miles behind the rest, hence you seen lots of goings on down there over the last year or 2.

I don't get it KM, I drove on the Whangaparaoa roads yesterday. They're in very good condition. Tarseal all the way to the marina in fact. Smooth driving, and a motorway all the way to the Silverdale exit too! You're not thinking of around 40 years ago when the motorway stopped at Tristram Ave are you? :mrgreen:

One of my main piss-offs with Westhaven is that they won’t let me park a 12.7m yacht in a 12m berth even though it will fit well within the poles and not stick over the pier. They insist that I take a 14m and its associated cost. Like any bunch of pea-brained bureaucrats, they argue the rules irrespective of reason.

Opua, Bayswater, GH and Westpark will let me into a 12m no probs at all.

Squid - triangles are so last century!

Sad really - I like the reaches.

But there is enough room to set any course that blows your skirt up.

If the roads weren't so crap GH would be a great spot for many especially us Shoreites. Sadly the roads are crap.

I'm telling you the roads are in good condition! :mrgreen:

So which century would be reaching backwards and forwards up the same ditch? :crazy: :crazy:

In a multihull the reaches are the best part.

So which century would be reaching backwards and forwards up the same ditch? :crazy: :crazy:

In a multihull the reaches are the best part.

There is two reaching legs in a triangle - and there where two tricycles racing triangles yesterday :D

There is also three windwards, a leeward and a proper (windward) start - got to be the best racing in Auckland :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived