Marina Berth Costs

smithy09

Of course, you could make a valid case that most the Westhaven boats would only need half their crew to trounce the mob from up north.

What a crock of pooh, everyone knows it's Bayswater boats, knot the lemons from the south side of the ditch :twisted:

A quick google gives me a population for Rodney of 96400, and 1,330,000 for Auckland. We have total 27 racing according to mark, Auckland 180.

That makes one racing sailboat per 3,570 people up here vs 1 per 7,389 in Auckland.

We have twice as many boats as Auckland!!!!!

Flogging a dead horse Squid, there's a reason why Weiti average 12 boats a twilight race, GHYC 15, Richmond 80 and RNZYS 100 and it (shock horror) isn't because people at Westhaven don't know Gulf Harbour exists. It's because half the people racing at Westhaven don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting to Gulf Harbour mid week. Notwithstanding the traffic, anyone can get to Westhaven.

Of course, you could make a valid case that most the Westhaven boats would only need half their crew to trounce the mob from up north.

I think you've included Manukau City, Waitakere and Nth Shore in those numbers Squid, but havent included Bucks Beach, Pine harbour, Bayswater and Westpark etc in the stats.

Sheeesh, lies, lies and statistics.

Moved to GH after being battered at Bayswater for 12 months. And previous to that had my pocket battered at Westhaven. So hard on your boat there at Bayswater.

My question to Atom Ant which Yacht Club is better up here? Can't actually go up the river though.

What is your opinion on Weiti and GHYC.

Guest Dry Reach

Sorry to get back to topic... but

Why do people with large boats and (probably) expensive houses complain about the small amount they are charged for their berth!

Do you rent your house out for free? or charge market rates?

do you sell your product at cost or add a margin?

If you can afford a boat (and all its costs) then you can afford a berth!... simple!

Moved to GH after being battered at Bayswater for 12 months.

Only the rich dudes on F and G piers, knot us poor fellas further in, we used the rich dudes as a 2nd breakwater.

Squid, Google smoogle, everyone knows if you want the real truth it's only found in the Womens Weekly.

By far the largest cost of my boat is the marina costs. I could put it on my mooring but I'm to lazy to pull the start cord on the dings ob. Mind you restocking after the Simrad R1 guzzle fest could get close to the marina cost this month :?

Sheeyit! Wot you running around waving red flags like that for Mark? Of course we've never seen you up our way to put your boat where your mouth is either... :lol:

Red flags, me? time to be absurdly obnoxious.

Be serious here AA, I mean really, looking at your winter series the hot keelboat looks to be a Ross 830.

Now, that's all well and good and so forth, but we have them down in the wastelands of Westhaven too an, not wishing to be disparaging or anything, but they're on average around 16 mins a race behind us, no surprise, very different boats.

Now, I realise 16 mins may be considered close racing up in your tropical neck of the woods, but really, it'd be like going to a kindergarten to kick sand in the kids faces. Sure you can do it but if you did, you're really only embarrassing yourself and proclaiming to the world you're a bully. Where would be the class, the style?

Oh, are you really sure you haven't seen me up there, certainly not recently but you might want to be careful about flogging that one too hard, I might be keeping some stirring in reserve?

Google smoogle,

I Googled smoogle and its a person, usually female, who will come over and use people for marijuana. similar to a beer slut, but for weed.

Sorry to get back to topic... but

Why do people with large boats and (probably) expensive houses complain about the small amount they are charged for their berth!

Do you rent your house out for free? or charge market rates?

do you sell your product at cost or add a margin?

If you can afford a boat (and all its costs) then you can afford a berth!... simple!

Dude, I dont discriminate, I complain about every expence.

Google smoogle,

I Googled smoogle and its a person, usually female, who will come over and use people for marijuana. similar to a beer slut, but for weed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You learn something new everyday. Thanks Teach :thumbup:

Now this is fun! MarkM you're only lobbing sand from the sidelines mate! If you come up north and get yo' ass whipped, don't come crying to me! I know the handicapper and he's a straight up guy and usually likes to give guests an easy run first time round anyway - particularly when guests most probably pay racetrack to slew the figures to ensure they get a soft handicap! We won't be fooled again by your townie vs the tropics attitudes Mr M oh no... So let's be having you and your water taxi up north and put 'em up!!!

Now, Young Fan - your question. If you can't get up the river it's because you draw more than 2.5 metres or so. 2.2 metre boats can go in & out of the river around 2 hours either side of high tide. Around half of the boats racing with WBC come out of Gulf Harbour Marina. Which is the best club? Well, I'm biased so it may be unfair of me to answer as both clubs are complementary to each other. In other words they cater for different things. They both do cruising races, and they both do some normal fleet races. If you keep your boat at Gulf Harbour, then it is convenient for you to belong to GHYC. They do dinners on Fri and Sat(?) nights and the bar is open on weekend evenings. I keep my boat at Gulf harbour but joined Weiti BC. Weiti is more a, well, grass roots, working class man kinda club. The bar is only open when there's a function, i.e. after races. We have regular social events too though. The clubhouse is on poles over the water and it is such a beautiful place.The club relies heavily on volunteer participation to keep it running. It's reasonably inexpensive to belong to, and has a yard where you can haul your boat. People help other people and it's fun.

Hang on, you're not a JAFA spy are you? Aucklanders won't like it here...

Smithy09

You must be sailing in a different laser than me - we generally just take each other up and then finish off running flat to the wing mark. So I see your bollocks and raise you one. Every now and then you get away with a glamour leeward pass on a bunch that gets too high - but generally that is a seriously high risk manouevre and only succesful in strong breeze.

And I am quick reaching (relative to my fleet of jelly bellies)....

Of course I haven't sailed Lasers for a few years but watching the worlds that were sailed of Taka, Dean Drummond would generally take out 5-10 boats sailing in the top 30 on the reaching legs. He generally went low, kept out of trouble, then came up with more speed at the end. Of course this is big fleet stuff. Hard to do if only 2 of you come around the mark together. Ditto watching the Opti nats this year and watching the opti North Americans via their cool tracking software. Nick Egnot Johnson was doing the same sort of numbers on reaches. So yes I still say Bollocks to ya Rocket!!

Well, curious yu should mention the handicappers AA, last time I was racing up that way, not my own boat but a production import we brought up for the occasion, notwithstanding that we were 4-8ft shorter than the local imports, we seemed to get a handicap most of 5% higher.

No problem, we just assumed it reflected the handicappers belief that boats from the ditch and the people on board were 5% better. Now that I think about it a bit insulting really, only 5% better ??

Young Fan, both clubs are a very nice place to partake of an ale or two, if you end up at Weiti though, watch the natives, a few of them are of decidedly elastic moral virtue.

You must have been racing outta Gulf Harbour! They should have whacked you 20% :lol:

Young Fan, both clubs are a very nice place to partake of an ale or two, if you end up at Weiti though, watch the natives, a few of them are of decidedly elastic moral virtue.

:mrgreen: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

You must have been racing outta Gulf Harbour! They should have whacked you 20% :lol:

:mrgreen: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

I heard a few things this morning about this lot...are they actually still young enough to act upon their untoward morals? :silent:

No way! I'm like an old dog chasing a cat! I've chased it down the road, now it's sitting up a tree. That was fun, I'm going home now, No way I wanna find out what happens if I get in the tree with it! :wink:

Archived