[Video]: Living Alone on a Sailboat

MarkMT

Really interested in the comments that he felt other people considered him a dirtbag.

When I was in my 20's and travelling around in my Cav 32 I thought I was a huge success - I had "made it". I was shocked when I arrived in North America and was treated as a dirtbag because I lived on my boat (something I was quite proud of).

And I notice similar attitudes creeping in here.

Creeping in here? That's the standard opinion of many on this forum in my view. I find it ironic the admiration for Johnie Wray for example when he wasn't averse to breaking or bending laws of the land.

Really interested in the comments that he felt other people considered him a dirtbag.

When I was in my 20's and travelling around in my Cav 32 I thought I was a huge success - I had "made it". I was shocked when I arrived in North America and was treated as a dirtbag because I lived on my boat (something I was quite proud of).

And I notice similar attitudes creeping in here.

That guy had some great comments. I particularly loved the lyrics of the background music.

Who cares what normal people think. They are normal for a reason :)

And when you live without a car you suddenly realize exactly how much it was costing you.

Once I calculated that I could rent a car just about every weekend of the year and come out cheaper. Wonder how that calculation would look today?

We met a Kiwi couple in Italy who left HMB only planning to head to the Bay of Islands and sort of kept going.

They are currently in the States bringing back their third boat from there.

It's harder to stop cruising than it is to start.

Three times in my life I have sold my car and walked back to the boat to leave. Best feeling in the world.

Obviously indication of setting a low standard for yourself and failing to achieve x 3 times.

Now a good negotiator would have included the return of the vendor to his boat, surely :think: :think: :think:

and now you negotiate what???? Bus fares back?

Ah you poor man. Selling the car and walking back to the boat was "achieving". Spending your life as a cubicle slave is "failing".

I tend to drive very inexpensive vehicles. So for the convenience of having the use of it till departure the easiest way was to go to one of those "cash for cars" places, take what they offer knowing it was less than market value (on a very inexpensive cars the difference is minimal in absolute terms) and enjoy the walk back to the boat.

Archived