2014 SSANZ SAS Series Evolution 100

Clipper

Got a couple of questions, after thinking about the last race and reading the SI.

What drives the decision to do course 1 or course 2 for the shorthaul and multi divisions? It is wind strength? Wind direction?

Evolution Sails 100 Shorthaul & Multihull Course: The number of the course to be sailed will be displayed from the

Committee Boat prior to the warning signal.

Course 1

Start passing Motutapu Island (port), rounding Little Barrier Island (port), to finish Orakei Wharf. (approx.84nm)

Course 2

Start passing Motutapu Island (port), rounding Motuora Island (starboard), Flat Rock (starboard), Tarahiki Island (Shag Island)

(starboard),Waiheke Island to (port), Rakino Island (port) passing Rangitoto Island (port) to finish Orakei Wharf. (approx

82nm)

If the heavy weather course is chosen, do the multis do the longhaul short course, or the shorthaul short course?

Clipper, the first choice will be to do the #1 course except if it is going to be a reach each way, generally speaking the plan is to get a mixture of sailing conditions

As for the short course I will contact the multi fleet and get a consensus of the fleet as to which one you wish to sail

But it's going to be a glamour day and your going to wish you were sailing right around Great Barrier :P

Great, thanks Jon.

So a traditional SW will see us out round little barrier.

I personally wish we were doing the long course, but not many others (including my crew) agree!

It would be epic to sail around the back of barrier but I wonder how quickly someone will come and get us if we flip and I don't think the hand held radio will be of any use.

Doing the same course around the back Waiheke Island over and over is starting to become mundane.

Sailing across to barrier or maybe coromandal would be thrilling enough. A reach across to little barrier could be interesting.

Had a few queries about the last race

It is Cat 3 for the Longhaul (Liferaft or inflated dink)

So you do need an inspection and cert from your friendly YNZ inspector.

Mr McDuff will be out checking all the boats and will need to sight your cert, so make sure you have it at hand because if you take a long time to produce it he may ask to see all your equipment.

Cat 4 for Small boats

I'm told the safety checking team may point at one crew member and ask them to show the team a safety item. There was a concern some crews have no idea where the skipper has stashed all the safety gear, that's not on and just silly.

And any boats that next time take 2mins to find a lifejacket will be pinged. A certain R40 would have sunk before it's skipper found their jackets and he is a skipper that should know better. Lifejackets should be at hand and grab-able in a few seconds.

Had a few queries about the last race

It is Cat 3 for the Longhaul and Shorthaul (Liferaft or inflated dink)

So you do need an inspection and cert from your friendly YNZ inspector.

Mr McDuff will be out checking all the boats and will need to sight your cert, so make sure you have it at hand because if you take a long time to produce it he may ask to see all your equipment.

Cat 4 for Small boats

Just to double check Jon are you saying CAT3 for all divisions but the smallboat division?

Or is my thinking correct in that only the longhaul is Cat3 with Shorthaul and Multis Cat4 plus Raft/Dingy?

From the sailing instructions:

"Longhaul Divisions:

Keelers Races 1 & 2: Part II Category 4, Race 3: Part II Category 3

Shorthaul Divisions, Multihull Division and Smallboat Division:

Keelers - Part II Category 4

Sorry Wil your correct, it's longhaul that's Cat 3

Longhaul Divisions:

Keelers Races 1 & 2: Part II Category 4,

Race 3: Part II Category 3

Shorthaul Divisions, Multihull Division and Smallboat Division

- Part II Category 4

I'm told the safety checking team may point at one crew member and ask them to show the team a safety item. There was a concern some crews have no idea where the skipper has stashed all the safety gear, that's not on and just silly.

And any boats that next time take 2mins to find a lifejacket will be pinged. A certain R40 would have sunk before it's skipper found their jackets and he is a skipper that should know better. Lifejackets should be at hand and grab-able in a few seconds.

I actually had the lifejackets right away, it was Ziggy's harness I was hunting for! Wasn't in it's normal spot.

I actually had the lifejackets right away, it was Ziggy's harness I was hunting for! Wasn't in it's normal spot.

You wouldn't want your ex to find out that you were planing on loosing the heir Smithy

You wouldn't want your ex to find out that you were planing on loosing the heir Smithy

Quite right. He may never sail with me again if she did!!

You weren't the only R40 out there. Is someone feeling guilty? ;) The luxury of having all that space down the Smithy, get a 930 and you'll find everything is always within arms reach :lol: :lol:

Hey, at least when you were asked where your jacklines were you didn't pick them up out of a bag on the cockpit floor and say 'Opps we forgot about those'. Said boat did have them in place by the start gun.

Release from: logo.gif

headerBackground.gif

10498192_257720741018855_6820040177707838474_o.jpg

Safety at Sea SSANZ Triple Series 2014 - Race 3 – Evolution Sails 100

Virtual Race brought to you by Sailonline with the Young 88 Owners Association

Sailonline.org http://www.sailonline.org is pleased to announce that it is again partnering with the Shorthanded Sailing Association of New Zealand http://www.ssanz.co.nz and the Young 88 Owners Association http://www.young88.org.nz to bring the virtual version of the Evolution 100, Race 3 in the Safety at Sea SSANZ Triple Series 2014, to armchair sailors around the world.

Sailonline is a non-profit, non-commercial sail-racing navigation simulation run entirely by volunteers. All races are free and each Soler (one who sails on Sailonline) gets exactly the same boat. The challenge is navigating through the weather. Sailonline uses almost real-time weather downloaded from NOAA and the boat physics are considered to be the most life-like of any online simulation.

This challenging series is New Zealand's biggest Two Handed Series. With 3 races spaced approximately one month apart and courses to cater for all sizes of keelboat (and multihulls) SSANZ has come up with a successful formula that just gets better every year. The Safety at Sea Two Handed Triple Series is a must do event.

Sailonline will be using the polar of the very popular Young 88 as the online virtual yacht.

Young88POLAR.png

There are seven Y88s entered in the race and they should be able to be tracked via http://www.predictwind.com/tracker/ at this link http://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/race/ssanz

Shorthaul 8Y8

Dilemma

Heaven 'n' Hell

Nijinsky

RUSH!

Sailor Moon

War Machine

Armchair sailors can pit their navigational skills against the real fleet.

Whether you are a seasoned old salt or a newbie, all are welcome and there is always someone willing to help with questions in the online race chat.

To race, armchair enthusiasts should head to Sailonline to join in the virtual race - it’s all free. http://www.sailonline.org

Shorthanded Sailing Association of New Zealand website: http://ssanz.co.nz/

Young 88 Owners Association website: http://www.young88.org.nz/

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8474_o.jpg

Archived