New Boat advises please

cabrinha

Hi guys!!

I'm glad to finally join this forum I have been reading and searching on various topics for a while!

I'm writing to you today to get some advises/opinions as I'm looking to buy my new boat (after years of saving money!).

So to make it simple, I'm after a fast boat with good living on board possibilities for cruising.

I previously owned a 30ft Mallard 1977 built for many years, got lot of fun and experience but it wasn't fast and...well, we all decide to upgrade at some point don't we?

Being from Europe, the two obvious candidates for me are the Beneteau First 40 and the Elan 400 (with a preference for this last one) but I would like to get some opinions/feedback about these two yachts and of course I'm not averse at all on other less obvious candidates as long as they are +35ft and within a $420 000 budget brand new with racing rig.

Thanks a lot guys and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Andy

Andy, if you are sure you want brand new, you won't have a lot of choice, except AWBs. Personally, with the market how it is, and within your budget, I'd be looking for an Elliot Tourer....

But new, check out the new Farr Designed Barvaria's.... the 41S or the Vision 42. But then I'm biased toward Farr Boats :D

Thanks for your replies guys!!

Yes, a Cat is possible but I don't have any experience on them apart F-16 and F-18.

I got a look at the Elliott and found the 44 Cruiser Racer pretty interesting!! The Website doesn't tell about the price however...

Also got a look at the J-122 and A40RC.

On paper, these three yachts are already faster than the Elan 400 but no clues about the $$$ bill.

If the Elan 400 is anything like the Elan 350 you can forget about winning any races despite what the marketing tells you, I know the owner of a 350 in up here in SE Asia and have raced against it. However the wide stern, chines etc makes for a lot of interior volume and a comfortable gulf cruiser. The First 40 is a better around the cans boat. What about something like a Pogo 12,50 or is that out of the price range? Elliott 44 made in China definably look into it.

Hi Kestrahl!!

Thanks for your reply!

In fact I guess I should have precised that its not for racing but just cruising while having fun, that's why I put it in the Cruise Talk category.

I have got a look at a Pogo 40 about a month ago, great boat really but built for racing I believe. The inside wasn't really adapted and functional for living on board few weeks.

That's why I'm targeting cruiser racer yachts rather than racer

I think any of the modern imports will do the job pretty well. It's important to know where you sit on the racer/cruiser scale.

Those first 40s look nice but they have a big wheel and a traveller in the cockpit. No good for cruising and can't fit a Bimini (important for the NZ summer)

I think what you are after is a performance cruiser? The Elliott tourers are nice but they don't have much room inside.

It's all a compromise to find the right boat for you. Just be sure you know what your top 3 priorities are and stick with them

I know a few people who love their Hanse 40s and they seem to sail pretty well.

Good luck.

The Pogo 1250 looks pretty nice and with good performances.

I have been on their Website to find a list of dealers selling Pogo but only one is listed in France.

Does it mean it has to be purchased and put in a container or something? How "difficult" and costly would that be?

Cheers guys

There is a pogo 1250 for sale in NZ, Krakatoa - won the solo Tasman earlier this year, and was "sold" in Ausy, but the deal eventually fell through. She's either just returned to NZ, or just about to. Not new of course! PM me if you'd like contact details.

Hi Island Time,

Yeah I saw the add on the web. Didn't know she was a 1250, as the interior really looks like a racing boat with the absolute minimum.

A quick boat is important but a decent living on board capabilities too.

But I'm definitely looking at the Pogo boats right now and contacted the dealer in France to find out how do they send their yachts to customers around the world

Krakatoa is a pogo40 that was their first version sort of. The pogo40 is more on the racer than cruiser side of things. After the pogo40 they brought out the pogo 1250 which was aimed more towards the crusing side. The race version of the 1250 is called the s3?

I love the 1250 but interior wise don't expect it to be anything like a late model bendy of jonola bottle (jeanneau)

Yeah, the interior of the Pogo 1250 isn't as nice as the Elan 400.

But I can give up on some interior comfort to gain few knots of speed^^

I guess there is a compromise in between a camping ground interior of a racer and great comfort of a modern cruiser, that's what I'm looking for and so far the Pogo 1250 fits the bill.

Then of course, how to get one from France to NZ...that's another story.

Archived