Yanmar Pricing FYI

Glsssbead

I recently purchased a couple pencil zincs for my Yanmar 2GM20 from my local Yanmar distributor for $27 each, which seemed quite ridiculous. My subsequent check of prices in the US for the same Yanmar part confirmed this. I complained to the distributor, who stated that NZ pricing is set by Yanmar NZ, as the sole importer of Yanmar parts. The distributor did follow up with Yanmar NZ with respect to the large price differential, and as a result, I am told that Yanmar NZ has just lowered their retail price for this part to $10.41, a 61% reduction!

Kudos to the distributor for raising the issue with Yanmar NZ, and kudos to Yanmar NZ for fixing this. :clap: I still wonder about pricing in NZ on other Yanmar parts though....

Reading for correction here, but I am pretty sure a supplier can not dictate what you sell something for. That would be price fixing. They can suggest a retail price and that is called RRP ( recommended retail price) but the Retailer has the choice what they want to sell something for.

Good effort and I'm surprised they took it on board.

Yanmar parts in NZ have to be amongst the expensive in the world.

The parts we bought in Greece (via the UK) were way cheaper than here.

If you can get the parts from non marine sources you will do even better (you won't do that with zincs of course)

Pretty sure the 3GM starter motor is Nissan for example.

Great motors though.

I got a quote for a spare water pump for our 60hp Yanmar - it was over $1000 !

Needless to say I didn't buy one and tend to avoid buying anything from Yanmar if possible.

Oil, fuel filters way cheaper from Transmissions and Diesels.

Reading for correction here, but I am pretty sure a supplier can not dictate what you sell something for. That would be price fixing. They can suggest a retail price and that is called RRP ( recommended retail price) but the Retailer has the choice what they want to sell something for.

I doubt they would normally resell for less than what the supplier charges plus a small margin, so from a practical standpoint, the high price in NZ is being dictated by the supplier who is taking maximum advantage of their exclusive importer rights.

Simms Turbo and Diesel in Ellerslie is able to source parts for Yanmar marine engines as an alternative to the agents, Whiting Power, however, they usually only special order Yanmar parts.

Archived