new prod elliott 7.9

corostu

Thinking about putting a prod and running gennakers on our elliott 7.9, not sure what length prod needs to be and where stay positions should be, i have a laser radial bottom section I could cut up would this be to heavier section? Any tips advice would be great.

Cheers

The prod on Elevation (modified Elliott 7) extends 1.6m from the bow. It is a Melges 24 retractable carbon section from Killwell. It would be a much cheaper option having the prod fixed permanantly on the bow. As for where to put the stays etc it would probably pay to talk to a rigger. Elevation has a Mast head & fractional genny plus a mast head code zero all from Norths. There is nothing better than hooning on a reach with the gennys up. Good luck it will certainly improve the performance of your boat.

the prod on rafferty rules a r780 is 1.8m long and rotates. its a cut down 49er prod. We've used a large keel boat turn buckle and a custom made fitting onto the stem and it works well. This is the third version of the stem fitting and is pretty bombproof now. I have 400mm spreaders made out of carbon super yacht side stay on either side, two tacklines and an intermediate point for my fractional zero.

We're running a full mast head zero with pretty big compression loads as well as gennakers and a fractional zero/jib top.

Go carbon, you really don't want a heavy bit of alloy on the bow of your boat.

I would say make it a long as you can. My trailer yacht/sport boat (in my avatar) has a 3.6m prod. It's great. Gybing is a breeze in any wind. The lengths mention above sound reasonable for a fixed prod on a 7.9. Some of the less than 1m jobs you see really reduce the effectiveness of the genniker. Evolution and philstar do you inside gybe at those lengths? I imagine so.. Also, I have a spare 49er prod if anyone has a project....

Hi I'll chuck in my 5 cents, I had a trailer 780 box rule boat called Coyote Blue a little while back and I went from spinnakers to alloy code zero prod and then to a carbon retractable about 2.7mts long I bought a4mt x 80mm x 3mm wall parallel carbon mast section from Kilwell nice and cheap about $100. I made a sleeve when I could have bought one for about $40 and cut a hole and glassed it in. I massively over engineered the tube installation because of paranoia but it was a revelation as far as performance and handling. We had a shuttle for the code zero Beau furler on a dynex line from a low bow fastening point to the underside of the shuttle to the prod end so when the prod deployed it pulled the shuttle out for the code 0 and the bobstay set automatically. It was the nicest, easiest and most revelationary mod to a boat I've done, it worked beautifully every time and having the ability to peel from 0 to gennaker or vice versa was nice. Go for it.

Hi Pumbaa, was yours the 780 express that was for sale on trade me last year??, if so, do you still have it or know where it went?

Hi Yes that was mine I sold it to a guy in Whangaproa, he is friends of the guys who own The Taniwha who post on here. I don't know if anything has been done with it. I don't know why but I think not. I'll still have his email somewhere if you pm me.

The guy that owns 'Taniwha' ( ex Sunday Sun ) is name Lewis. Can be contacted at Lidgard sails Auckland.

As for the prod discussion. For simple stuff just go with a retractable prod. Mount the tube to one side of the bow and away you go. Get the right size and no stays required.

Talk to Jason at Killwell 07 345 9093 or Ginge at C-tec 801 8406

Give me a ring if you want some advice. I have done a few of them. 0274 858207

Archived