Hauraki Singlehanded Series - Race 1

Kaihe Atamai

The first race in the 2014-15 HSS will be the Weiti Boating Club singlehanded race THIS SUNDAY, October 12th. Sailed from Arkles Bay, this race has provided tight racing and exciting spring weather in years past. The wide open courses are well-suited to getting your systems down for singlehanded racing.

Check out the HSS website for more information:

http://richmondyc.org.nz/racing/info/ha ... ed-series/

wicked single handed race today. was looking light before the start so I rigged masthead zero, fractional zero and a self tacker no2. The wind came in at 10 - 15 right on the start. Got a good start, worked the shifts up to southern long bay mark. then unrolled the fro as I went around the mark. all good held my place all the way down to motutapu and was in 4th position. Saw Unitec charging up with a fractional genny and thought it was lightening up so furled the fro and out with the masthead zero. only to be immediately hit by quite a large bullet. wipe out and pop there goes the prod bobstay. Rafferty rules decided to have a lie down with the mast in the water while I sorted out the fractional and masthead zero's. Managed to stuff the masthead down the hatch and sort out the prod by this stage I think I was coming 6th. Got around haystack and then cracked off back to the finish didn't change much.

Great day out though, maybe I'll be a bit more conservative next time .........nahhh:)

nice to be out with a bunch of other little boats for a change. thanks to weiti for running it and my dad and lovely wife for doing the start.

check out the weiti boating club facebook page for start pics

What an introduction to singlehanded racing!

It was a first one for me and Wild! and I certainly have a craploads more to learn! Boat was magic, weather was magic (untill it was time to go home), racecouse was great... Magic...

Only one thing is ringing in my head, should have put the zero up... Unfortunatelly I forgot to grab my balls when I woke up that morning, and had no Avigra to harden the f@k up and ended up running around the track with a #3 and a main... Great fun nevertheless, spectacular scrap with Mykonos, Zilch had a bit of a "oopsy Daisy" moment after rounding the SLB but came down on Haystack at a great pace later on with a "big blue" up! What a keen young man!!!

Mykonos had a nice pace on the way back with cracked sheets and got away on me and I just kept up with Zilch...

Its awesome that you can only blame yourself for any mistakes (or shorcomings), you can have the music blasting and not worry about the communication issues with the crew (lets face it, all of them are together in my head and boy does it get busy in there)!

Great fun, will be back next year!

Thank you Weiti for putting it on!

wicked single handed race today. was looking light before the start so I rigged masthead zero, fractional zero and a self tacker no2. The wind came in at 10 - 15 right on the start. Got a good start, worked the shifts up to southern long bay mark. then unrolled the fro as I went around the mark. all good held my place all the way down to motutapu and was in 4th position. Saw Unitec charging up with a fractional genny and thought it was lightening up so furled the fro and out with the masthead zero. only to be immediately hit by quite a large bullet. wipe out and pop there goes the prod bobstay. Rafferty rules decided to have a lie down with the mast in the water while I sorted out the fractional and masthead zero's. Managed to stuff the masthead down the hatch and sort out the prod by this stage I think I was coming 6th. Got around haystack and then cracked off back to the finish didn't change much.

Great day out though, maybe I'll be a bit more conservative next time .........nahhh:)

nice to be out with a bunch of other little boats for a change. thanks to weiti for running it and my dad and lovely wife for doing the start.

check out the weiti boating club facebook page for start pics

You'd be most welcome at the rest of the HSS races! Got a pic of you before you blew up... check out the RYC facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RichmondYachtClub

yes great weather for the start of the new Hauraki solo series, 10-15 sw came up on cue right on the start.

was abit slow sheeting on at the start and H,n,H got a leap on me, did some good trimming and tacks to almost be first equal

at southern long bay buoy, had to check on the GPS to make sure i went round the correct one, by the time i had done that H,n,H

had bore away. I already had on No.1 and full main and Oracle likes a beam reach when she is powered up, i kept heading a bit higher

than haystack to keep the apparent wind good though, the y88 thought better than that tactic and bore away a hoisted the kite. I had mine ready to go but watched H,n,H for a few minutes before confirming i had made the right choice. about 20 minutes later H,n,H's kite cam down and he headed up to make up lost ground. the breeze come on a bit more to 20 in the gusts and oracle loved it surfing a bit even hitting 9.5 top speed on the reach. the wind had come forward about 2/3 across which let me head almost directly to haystack. the last 300m i bore away and went directly downwind in the calm adn get the boat sorted for the tight reach to the finish. Oracle doesnt do as well on tight reaching, and i noticed the H,n,H behind by 500m was changing to No. 2 headsail. Oracle needs to be powered up or her big bum sticks and is slow so i gambled on No. 1 headsail and headed slightly lower than the finish for the first half crossing back whangaparoa. was pushing the limit and flogging the main a bit, (not good when i noticed second battern lost is mast car) but held on and sure enough half way back the wind eased a bit and backed and i headed straight to the finish about 6 minutes clear of H,n,H and the rest of the fleet. I was buggered after constant trimming (not to mention i had ahead cold i hadn't been able to shake off for a week.) the auto helm did a great job helping ease the workload

then i just had the 15nm beat home to westhaven and changed down to No.2 jib for that. autohelm took over here i made a hot drink and lunch. thanks Weiti, see all the Solo guys/gals in 4 weeks at round 2 run by RYC.

Good day out although the early start was a push. Great to see the sunrise though. Rigged kite for the run Haystack, too forward so rigged gennaker. Watched HandH and then Revo Blues heading for Tiri so stuck to the genoa.Wind never got aft enough to have a good run but just enough wind and waves near haystack to get in some quite long skids stuck on 9-10kn. Dont like the upwind bit so changed to #3 before haystack for the windward leg back to Weiti. Blazing White got past me but managed to hold off the others. HandH and Oracle made the right call going low to Gulf Harbour. Well done and thanks to comm boat.

just had a look at the results on the weiti web page, nothing on RYC site yet for the hauraki series. Even though i had a good race and placed well, i feel someone needs to bring this up.

seems the boats at either end of the results have pretty good or bad handicaps depending on your view..!!

Heaven n hell handicap at 0.810.... I know the guy is good but really ?? and then at the other end Blazin white .... handicap at 0.646,

which places him just below the noelex 25..!! having a quick look on Race Track ... and the 4 other White 32 (yes 32 feet same as Oracle)

have handicaps around 0.73/0.74....

any one else have comments on this ?

just had a look at the results on the weiti web page, nothing on RYC site yet for the hauraki series. Even though i had a good race and placed well, i feel someone needs to bring this up.

seems the boats at either end of the results have pretty good or bad handicaps depending on your view..!!

Heaven n hell handicap at 0.810.... I know the guy is good but really ?? and then at the other end Blazin white .... handicap at 0.646,

which places him just below the noelex 25..!! having a quick look on Race Track ... and the 4 other White 32 (yes 32 feet same as Oracle)

have handicaps around 0.73/0.74....

any one else have comments on this ?

I have questioned this on Monday:

Morning Colin,

Thanks for the results. It was a great race yesterday. Thanks to Weiti for organising it!

Only one question… Where do the handicaps come from? My fully crewed handicap is at 0.650 and although was technically “fully” crewed (being a single handed race and only me being on board) I think that a Whiting 32 should have a slightly higher handicap than a Farr 727 (Farr being just under 24 feet). My shorthanded handicap is 0.630 everywhere else…. And this was my first singlehanded race!

Sounds like there is a few boats from Richmond that got quite high handicaps… But that should be a different conversation…

and got the following answer

Hi Sin

Regarding the handicaps, I used Race track as a starting point as I had no knowledge of any of the boats performance other than the Weiti boats. I did not use PHRF as some boats don't have one. The Race Track score seemed the most appropriate in most cases, exception being Wild - showed to be continually improving so I used the latest handicap; H&H and RB - had raced with us previously and had performed better than Race Track.

For the Weiti boats I used their current club handicap which was above the current Race Track value.

I am happy to use the Race Track rating for all boats if you are all happy with that approach. Revised results based on those handicaps is attached.

Regards,

Colin

Hope that everyone got the revised results.... If not let me know and I will post them here.

Good on you for raising the issue Sin. Maybe the Hauraki Series boats should agree our own HCs for the series, with adjustments after each race, and score the series using those. Club HCs could apply for the individual race or race series that makes up the Hauraki Series.

Heaven n hell handicap at 0.810.... I know the guy is good but really ??

Found the problem, handicap for our old boat - it's a young 11 and that's the same handicap H&H was handicapped to on Sunday. Seems to be quite a common problem getting Y88s and Y11s mixed up - especially rum racing handicapper at BBYC...

y11.jpg

y88.jpg

Archived