Reefs For Cat 3

rich2

This is the ISAF regs, but it would pay to check on the NZ regs also

"either a storm trysail as defined in OSR 4.26.4©, or mainsail reefing to reduce the luff by at least 40%"

For Cat 3, you can either carry a trysail, OR the main should have a set of reef points capable of reducing the effective luff by 40%

A Storm jib is recommended and must have its sheets permanently attached

You must have a Heavy weather jib - its area cannot be greater than 13.5% of the square of the luff of the largest headsail

All Storm sails built after 1/1/2005 must be Air/Sea Rescue Orange

And all storm sails which are designed for a luff groove device must have an alternative method of attachment to the stay, or a wire luff.

Hope this helps.

In years past there has been discussion on the expected weather....and as we on Oracle haven't competed for a few years. thought i would start it off... so a typical sw15-20kn... all day long tapering off late in evening and dying out by morning.. any advance on that?

(yes we have got out act together and have cat 3 / phrf.. and are racing again. no the house isnt finished yet.. but close enough for now.)

Any idea on the rules for jackstay material. The guy at burnsco said I can use dyneema but my understanding is that it has to be webbing so it doesn't roll under your foot?

In saying that dyneema is pretty flat. I'd just like to be sure before I buy the dyneema.

You can use whatever you like, as long as it has a minimum 2000kg break load.

I'd use webbing before dyneema rope. Tried both went back to webbing.

The rope can roll underfoot and in the heat of battle or darkness you sure that rope lying on your deck that your hooking onto is fixed at both ends? How much webbing is there on your deck to get confused about?

There is dyneema webbing easily available but I'd use polyester myself.

For cat 1 and 2 you actually need a 50% reef now. Any sails built after january 2013 require this 50% reef.

(e) Mainsails built after January 2013 X X R R R

should have a set of reef points capable

of reducing the effective luff by 50%.

Archived