Must one be affiliated with a club to race?

SeaEagleii

Hmmm, the issue of compulsory membership in order to crew has come up on this forum earlier in the year. My recollection was that there was a general consensuses that this isn't a desirable situation in terms of crew/finding crew however it did highlight the issue for clubs that are struggling to stay operational due to the decline in general membership over the last few years.

I'm a member of SSANZ and recommend such to other people who have an interest in short handed sailing AND because I tend to crew with multiple boats across multiple clubs - which leaves me with question of wanting to support 'a' club (cause I'm sure not made of money) but who should I give my money to? The club I frequent the most? (Squaddy) the club that probably needs the money more? (Panmure) or somewhere in the middle?

That might be the case down in wellington Grant but its very different up here. There is no way we could join every club we race with. We have many more clubs than wellington all running keelboat races.

I would need to join the RNZYS (Wednesday nights, Rum races, cruising rallies and many more), Richmond Yacht club(Wednesday nights, rum races and many more), SSANZ (round North island 2 handed, round NZ, Barrier triple series, Anzac 200), Bucklands beach(rum races, national champs and more), NZ multihull yacht club (coastal classic), Royal Akarana YC (offshore racing, white island, gold cup ect). Plus there are many more like Devonport YC, Ponsonby cruising club, Panmure boating club, weiti boating club, gulf harbour yacht club ect that we do occasional races with. All the mentioned club are within 15nm of each other and many based right next to each other.

I am a member of SSANZ and the RNZYS as I do most of my sailing with these 2 clubs. The other clubs do receive something when I race with them, its called an entry fee and is always more if you are not a member of that club which is fair enough.

Like Dambo I suggested joining SSANZ as its a natural fit considering where this topic all started with shorthanded yacht racing (Solo coastal classic) and SSANZ organises a majority of the longer shorthanded events.

Don’t mix up an organisation like SSANZ with YNZ they are very different. YNZ doesn’t organise yacht races, SSANZ does. Yachting NZ does plenty of other good things but does not organise weekend yacht racing.

Like Dambo I suggested joining SSANZ as its a natural fit considering where this topic all started ...

I appreciate what you're saying. But I don't know who Thinkhappi is nor where he/she is based.

He/she simply asked in the first post, with the subject "Must one be affiliated with a club to race?"

So know I guess I should ask..

If you want to race.. Do you need to be affiliated with a club?

Obviously nothing about short handed sailing, nothing about Auckland.

But to pick and join the cheapest keel boat club, and then use that membership to race and enjoy the benefits at all the other Clubs (on a regular basis) seems somewhat selfish. I was just making a comment to that affect (admittedly somewhat facetiously).

*cough* NZMYC sub is only $65 and you'll be supporting the club that runs the race you want to do and, as a member, even raise your needs at the AGM next year *cough*

Cough Cough, SSANZ and other cheap alternatives do not run Clubhouses, paid staff, safety boats etc.

But most will use existing Clubs assets for prize giving's, race management (not SSANZ for all this but some).

Anyway, belonging to a Club should be of mutual benefit to the Club and member, not just a matter of bucks.

True to a degree but NZMYC pays for those services. Besides the club keeps less than $15 of that subscription.

And keeping on subject, she wants to join a club so she can race single handed in Coastal, no bricks and mortar club has anything to add to that :-)

from another point of view . . .

Forget the sport aspect. How about considering the simple law of Contract aspects.

The club is offering a service by running a race with a series of conditions to comply with.

The owner is happy to purchase that service for the agreed fee with the added benefits of bragging rights, trophy and/or rum!!

So the conditions the club impose for the benefit of all competitors include the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing as modified by YNZ, IRPCS for at night, and adopt lots of other rules (harbour regs, Safety equipment MSA via YNZ and all the other statutes of NZ etc).

Included (as discussed above by others the ISAF RRS ownership issues) the requirement to be a member of an affiliated club to YNZ.

So simple really. You MUST be a member, if you want to play with others in some sort of organised activity as the club provides.

Otherwise, no rules situations can develop and eventually the person with the biggest, fastest, strongest (battleship) wins the battles, wars and the final revolution. :thumbup:

:think: However most dictators eventually get shot first. :clap:

Archived