Sailing from Europe to NZ. Best route?

Hi guys!!

So, after asking for advises on here a while ago about what kind of new boat to get, I have decided it will be a Pogo 12.50.

I got in touch with the guys there in France and they don't have any dealer elsewhere in the World, they only sale from their port, so I have to sail the boat from Europe to NZ.

At first, this thought was a bit intimidating but finally got more and more exciting, especially since a friend of mine wants to do the trip too.

As far as my experience go, I have never sailed such a long distance.

I grew up sailing on a 30 footer in the south of France, went to Balearic islands 4/5 times following the coast, etc

I also did Antibes (South of France) to Corsica (island south of France) on a Hobie Cat Tiger...not sure if it counts but it was a great experience on such a small cat.

As far as his experience go, he is a kitesurfer mate.

Anyway, so we are planning this for around end of july and stopping/visiting interesting places, and we need to choose which route to go by in order to reach NZ:

- Crossing the Atlantic, Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia, Fiji, New Caledonia and NZ.

- Crossing Biscay, Gibraltar, Balearic Island, Antibes, Scicilia, Greece, Cyprus, Suez, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Pakistan, Sri Lanka...West Sumatra (avoid busy Malacca Strait), Australia, New Caledonia and NZ.

To me, I prefer going East so we are "closer" to the coast in case of issues and it's less boring than long distance crossing.

But I'm worried about Suez Canal and after...With all the incidents happening with pirates from Somalia. Not sure if staying close to Saudi Arabia and then Yemen is the way to go safely.

So for those who did this kind of cruise, I'm after any opinions/advises!!

Cheers guys

I would definitely go west about, faster, more comfortable and safer. Further from the coast is safer than close to the coast - sometimes hard for newbies to get their head around but true. Think of an aeroplane, it is safer at 30,000 feet than at 1000 feet coz it's further from the hard stuff so more time to react.

And that's before any political or piracy considerations.

Easiest route is through panama of course- if you have money and time to wait to get through there-

Then it's a bunch of milk runs really- but big pacific to cross 4o days I imagine- And then play the weather and seasons from island to island..

However - I like exciting - sooo

I would go down the West coast of Africa - port to port .. If you have time to catch the weather- not super easy sailing but doable and very interesting-

It's a bit of a beat from St Helena to Cape Town but after that - it's quite nice hopping around the southern South Africa ( cheap) up the east coast ( sh*t hot kite surfing) -

Up to Richards Bay...

Then across to reunion - Maldives - Sri Lanka - Thailand - Malaysia - indo - ( bit dodge) Aussie over the top or back around the West coast to Freemantle- Albany ( the cape can be a pain but catch the windows)

Albany to adelaide to Melbourn ( all good kiting ) - catch windows through Bass- up the East coast of Aussie - then sling across from Sydney -

Or over the top- I'm not sure the deal from there..

Guess it depends on when and how much time you have to wait on weather windows and seasons -

Check jimmy Carnell cruising routes - used that some time ago and had great info for planning routes -

Omg how I wish I could be doing that..

Open crossings are yip safer in terms of can't crash - but anything else it can be tough- gear failure - sick people-

Wears you down to the bone- no catching weather windows-

7 meter seas and 70 knots of wind...

You just gota deal with that mother...

Long crossing are relentless unless you are good with your mind- tired and shattered or not there is no stopping- broken things demand your attention and your 'fix it with nothing' stills should be quite high..

Port to port you can rest till you and weather ready- you can experience crazy people and places and enjoy fresh food:)

You pick up crew along the way and get help ..

Fix stuff - etc etc...

Both have advantages- shorter trips let you enjoy more, are you not so shattered all the time-

Long distance sailing very tough on 2 if you keeping proper watches etc ! Not as easy as people think -

Turns you crazy short handed! Watch out ;)

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Ok so I'm gonna start planning the stops for the west Route then.

Again, if any advises..more than welcome!!

The Pogo 12.50 is fast (Class 40 hull and very decent sails area) so hopefully it wouldn't be as long and boring...

Also, for those who did sail long distances:

What are the little things that you wish you had taken with you because all of the sudden you needed them or would have make your life easier?

How to sail at night? Auto pilot or taking watches?

Is there any way to get internet by satellite or something?

Thx!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Ok so I'm gonna start planning the stops for the west Route then.

Again, if any advises..more than welcome!!

Stop off in Cuba - the food, the music, the sailing, the girls all fantastic

The Pogo 12.50 is fast (Class 40 hull and very decent sails area) so hopefully it wouldn't be as long and boring...

I did Panama to Tahiti in 33 days in a Cav 32, you should thrash that. Another two weeks and you're home - assuming you are in delivery mode rather than cruise mode. The Atlantic part 21-28 days. I'd leave Europe around beginning November, winter in the Caribbean and head to Tahiti/NZ March/April/May

Also, for those who did sail long distances:

What are the little things that you wish you had taken with you because all of the sudden you needed them or would have make your life easier?

Chocolate/a good woman

How to sail at night? Auto pilot or taking watches?

You will want an autopilot no matter what else. One of the most important pieces of kit on the boat. Since you will be in France suss out an NKE?, best I've ever come across. Expect it to do ALL the steering. Two up with a decent autopilot is very comfortable and relaxing.

Is there any way to get internet by satellite or something?

What for? Take plenty of books.

Thx!!

Oooo

I'd go do a crossing before you take it on-

How much and what kind of sailing have you done?

If you in Auckland Id be happy to meet you.. Chat about stuff..

Sounds like you have a lot to learn before you go unless you asking those questions by the by..

Either route there is some serious sailing ! And the pacific not great if you not hot on nav and have a lot of gut feel in what the elements are saying- or experienced in reading them- lots of uncharted ground-

Each subjects you ask need time .. And depends on numbers, time sailing route etc etc

You will skipper?

What study and nav have you done?

How many miles is your longest sail?

Have you tried to get down a stuck headsail I'm 40+ knots?

Have you experience and knowledge on Deisle engines?

A good plan for jury rig - or sailing with no engine if it fails-

Bla bla bla ..

Just a few considerations

Not saying don't do it if you have not got all this experience...

Just saying prepare and get some experience before you do it.

There is a lot to consider- on 28-32 foot you can wing a lot - 40 foot .. When sh*t goes wrong - it can go very wrong-

Bringing 40 foot in with no engine ie is not easy unless you know your stuff-

When all is going well yea piece if piss-

But it does not always go well and it's then you must know your stuff ..

Don't know if you do or not... Just saying

And sh*t yea!!!! Make sure you take SAT comms or SSB and know how to use them ! Sat comm is cheap and easy to send email- from laptop! If you keep it small and text-

You can send regular texts and I think in the north connection or coverage good-is not hard at all ! SSB expensive to set up Internet but you can-

Both allow you to get GRIB files which is raw weather data- if you don't know how to read and get this- learn it!

Along with your barometer that predicts your navigation and over long distanc s can save you huge!

I found this the best for grib files

http://www.saildocs.com/

You can overlay them on open CPN - open source nav program -

Watch out for charts people give you ie maxi charts - free charts- they not detailed enough - but good for basic route planning- you can get an external usb GPS to plug into laptop - it's great for long distance - ALONG WITH REAL CHARTS!!!

Just call me- I'll give you all info and time you need-

I have 44000 NM ocean sailing-

Iv spent 52 days at sea not seeing another boat or anything -

In a loaded tractor of a boat-

I can offer some pointers :) if you wish- waaayyyyy toooo much for a forum

Zero two one 24 five 32 48

Listen to the Panther he has been there done that. There are folk who will only see potential problems that generally never come to pass.

Do a couple of shake down cruises to sort out any fitout defects, there will be some.

We have friends who sailed the world for 25 years, in that time they experienced only 1 storm, less than 10 gales.

They sailed the seasons to ensure reasonable weather.

Black Panther:

Yes of course the auto pilot (NKE in this case), wasn't planing on going without one...

I was just thinking if at night, being in calm weather in blue waters allows you to leave the auto pilot in wind mode and radar, rather than taking watches.

We will be in cruise mode, not delivery. So no rush at all, we can wait for good weather windows and enjoy our stops.

As for the Internet...makes your life easier!

When things break you can get relative help for example.

Then, I'm an Android Developer (sorry Iphone users^^) so I guess I have a natural tendency to live with Internet.

So is it possible to have Internet on board?

Thinkhappi:

Thank a lot for your advises!!

As I said, as far as my sailing experience go, I have never sailed such a long distance.

I did a lot of sailing during my childhood till I left France to live in NZ. Used to sail with dad every weekend, a lot of Hobie Cat sailing a the same time too, and later on when I was a teenager I used to take the boat by myself to go away from the coast and catch tuna during the season every weekends (unless bad weather).

I learnt than the boat is stronger than me and that sometimes you have to deal with hard weather and just take it. The boat can hold it, your are the weak point of the combo, you have to hold it.

But I never had to get down a stuck headsail in strong wind, no.

I will be the skipper yes and I don't have any nav study as I rely on the GPS. But I can probably learn the basics during prep time.

Same goes with engines, I don't have any knowledge but maybe it's good to learn the basics, surely it will be useful one day or another.

Sailing with no engines, I'm pretty confident about that, depending on the boat maneuverability of course.

But that's why I'm here, to ask you guys who are much more experienced than me and did it before so I can prepare it until ready.

And if I consider than I'm not or not safer enough, I will simply put the boat on a ship for delivery in NZ

Come for dinner - my husban French :)

I'll give you all the world ( electronic charts and programs needed

For free - dig them off the hard drive :)

Can tell you what Iv experienced Atlantic crossings - South Indian Ocean crossing- Caribbean-

Have loads of friends around West Atlantic at moment and others who have done it in the last 5 years-

Who would be happy to offer other advise-

You welcome to my time and I could tell you what Iv experienced - use or loose-

Ps why do you fly Cabrina ?

We fly north - and Naish - when we had time to kite :)

Two up I normally set a watch 4on 4off daytime and 3 on 3 off night time, but always prepared to adjust if necessary. Just find what works for you.

During the nights (if you have the power) I sit and read a book and scan the horizon every time I turn a page. Unless in a shipping lane or area of high traffic when you may be on deck all watch. At the other end of the scale I have gone weeks without seeing another boat and eventually gave up and went to bed 8 hrs a night.

Don't sail at 100%, back off to 80% or even 50%. Pogo is a fast enough boat, you'll get there just fine and backing off will save wear and tear on the gear and allow you and crew to relax.

Be prepared as Happi says, but the route you are looking at will mean unlikely you will ever see much over 30kn till the last 500 miles. And nearly all downwind - nice trip.

I've done lots of miles without any long range communications, but if you want it the choice is SSB or a satphone. If you are going to continue to use the boat for long distance sailing SSB may be the answer (it is expensive to buy and a headache to install, but nearly free to use). Satphone just buy it and go, but a significant cost to use, OK if it is a one off, then sell it when you get home.

People with far less experience than you have successfully made this trip. Start reading now.

When do you plan on going? The best thing you could do is fit in a couple of overnight trips with someone else before you go.

Now that's sound advice!

Being from and sailing in the south lats causes me to be double careful -

Read read read talk talk talk -

There is always many many ways with sailing -

You will find your middle ground ;)

whatever you do...!!!!!!!!

DO IT !!

Come for dinner - my husban French :)

I'll give you all the world ( electronic charts and programs needed

For free - dig them off the hard drive :)

Can tell you what Iv experienced Atlantic crossings - South Indian Ocean crossing- Caribbean-

Have loads of friends around West Atlantic at moment and others who have done it in the last 5 years-

Who would be happy to offer other advise-

You welcome to my time and I could tell you what Iv experienced - use or loose-

Ps why do you fly Cabrina ?

We fly north - and Naish - when we had time to kite :)

Thx a lot!!

I fly Cabrinha since their Crossbow 2010 (going fast, long distance) and was on North Rhino before that, since the Rhino 2!! So I have seen a lot of Rhino generations.

At the moment I'm only starting to think about sailing the boat from Europe, how to, what kind of preparation needed and equipment etc. So it's really the first pieces at the moment!

Also have to find a berth in Auckland... (again, if any advises...).

Anyway, the boat can be ready for june 2015 and the constructor doesn't mind keeping it out of the water for a while until I pick it up. So best case scenario july 2015...

Still deciding on the boat configuration, having wheels or not (the winches are far ahead in this case).

Then of course it would depend on the best season etc. Not sure if crossing the Atlantic during north hemisphere winter is a good choice so that's why I was thinking july/august...