Sailing from Europe to NZ. Best route?

I found this the best for grib files

http://www.saildocs.com/

You can overlay them on open CPN - open source nav program -

Watch out for charts people give you ie maxi charts - free charts- they not detailed enough - but good for basic route planning- you can get an external usb GPS to plug into laptop - it's great for long distance - ALONG WITH REAL CHARTS!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did my first offshore cruise at 60yo, from Dominican Republic, Atlantic side, to NZ. Just me and a never sailed before traveller, had a great time, auto pilot broke a week out of Panama so steered the

Listen to the Panther he has been there done that. There are folk who will only see potential problems that generally never come to pass.

Do a couple of shake down cruises to sort out any fitout defects, there will be some.

We have friends who sailed the world for 25 years, in that time they experienced only 1 storm, less than 10 gales.

They sailed the seasons to ensure reasonable weather.

Black Panther:

Yes of course the auto pilot (NKE in this case), wasn't planing on going without one...

I was just thinking if at night, being in calm weather in blue waters allows you to leave the auto pilot in wind mode and radar, rather than taking watches.

We will be in cruise mode, not delivery. So no rush at all, we can wait for good weather windows and enjoy our stops.

As for the Internet...makes your life easier!

When things break you can get relative help for example.

Then, I'm an Android Developer (sorry Iphone users^^) so I guess I have a natural tendency to live with Internet.

So is it possible to have Internet on board?

Thinkhappi:

Thank a lot for your advises!!

As I said, as far as my sailing experience go, I have never sailed such a long distance.

I did a lot of sailing during my childhood till I left France to live in NZ. Used to sail with dad every weekend, a lot of Hobie Cat sailing a the same time too, and later on when I was a teenager I used to take the boat by myself to go away from the coast and catch tuna during the season every weekends (unless bad weather).

I learnt than the boat is stronger than me and that sometimes you have to deal with hard weather and just take it. The boat can hold it, your are the weak point of the combo, you have to hold it.

But I never had to get down a stuck headsail in strong wind, no.

I will be the skipper yes and I don't have any nav study as I rely on the GPS. But I can probably learn the basics during prep time.

Same goes with engines, I don't have any knowledge but maybe it's good to learn the basics, surely it will be useful one day or another.

Sailing with no engines, I'm pretty confident about that, depending on the boat maneuverability of course.

But that's why I'm here, to ask you guys who are much more experienced than me and did it before so I can prepare it until ready.

And if I consider than I'm not or not safer enough, I will simply put the boat on a ship for delivery in NZ

Come for dinner - my husban French :)

I'll give you all the world ( electronic charts and programs needed

For free - dig them off the hard drive :)

Can tell you what Iv experienced Atlantic crossings - South Indian Ocean crossing- Caribbean-

Have loads of friends around West Atlantic at moment and others who have done it in the last 5 years-

Who would be happy to offer other advise-

You welcome to my time and I could tell you what Iv experienced - use or loose-

Ps why do you fly Cabrina ?

We fly north - and Naish - when we had time to kite :)

Two up I normally set a watch 4on 4off daytime and 3 on 3 off night time, but always prepared to adjust if necessary. Just find what works for you.

During the nights (if you have the power) I sit and read a book and scan the horizon every time I turn a page. Unless in a shipping lane or area of high traffic when you may be on deck all watch. At the other end of the scale I have gone weeks without seeing another boat and eventually gave up and went to bed 8 hrs a night.

Don't sail at 100%, back off to 80% or even 50%. Pogo is a fast enough boat, you'll get there just fine and backing off will save wear and tear on the gear and allow you and crew to relax.

Be prepared as Happi says, but the route you are looking at will mean unlikely you will ever see much over 30kn till the last 500 miles. And nearly all downwind - nice trip.

I've done lots of miles without any long range communications, but if you want it the choice is SSB or a satphone. If you are going to continue to use the boat for long distance sailing SSB may be the answer (it is expensive to buy and a headache to install, but nearly free to use). Satphone just buy it and go, but a significant cost to use, OK if it is a one off, then sell it when you get home.

People with far less experience than you have successfully made this trip. Start reading now.

When do you plan on going? The best thing you could do is fit in a couple of overnight trips with someone else before you go.

Come for dinner - my husban French :)

I'll give you all the world ( electronic charts and programs needed

For free - dig them off the hard drive :)

Can tell you what Iv experienced Atlantic crossings - South Indian Ocean crossing- Caribbean-

Have loads of friends around West Atlantic at moment and others who have done it in the last 5 years-

Who would be happy to offer other advise-

You welcome to my time and I could tell you what Iv experienced - use or loose-

Ps why do you fly Cabrina ?

We fly north - and Naish - when we had time to kite :)

Thx a lot!!

I fly Cabrinha since their Crossbow 2010 (going fast, long distance) and was on North Rhino before that, since the Rhino 2!! So I have seen a lot of Rhino generations.

At the moment I'm only starting to think about sailing the boat from Europe, how to, what kind of preparation needed and equipment etc. So it's really the first pieces at the moment!

Also have to find a berth in Auckland... (again, if any advises...).

Anyway, the boat can be ready for june 2015 and the constructor doesn't mind keeping it out of the water for a while until I pick it up. So best case scenario july 2015...

Still deciding on the boat configuration, having wheels or not (the winches are far ahead in this case).

Then of course it would depend on the best season etc. Not sure if crossing the Atlantic during north hemisphere winter is a good choice so that's why I was thinking july/august...