Sealestial

The Oceans 70 ketch parked at Watchman Is has recently parted company with its mooring and was valiantly rescued in a very stiff westerly before it slammed into the harbour bridge by the very helpful staff of Westhaven Marina.

Big ups to you guys and the owner should be bloody grateful for all your efforts.

It sure is one strange place to moor a 70ft yacht.IMHO

I moored in Hobson bay for 15 years in all sorts of horrible stuff. There was a period in the 80's when every gale seemed to be a NE'r.

Nearly every boat that I observed went up in there and Okahu had either top rope chafe / failure over the fairlead, or swivel failure( deep). I was told to have a chain on the hook instead ( over the fairlead) and didn't have an issue, and slept relatively well.

Top chain moorings aren't anywhere near as common as they used to be. Most are now top rope moorings. Swivel failure isn't as big as it used to be either, in fact it's quite rare these days. But chafe isn't and is easily the leading cause of boats ending up on the putty.

The most common cause is plain stupidity. If you leave your moorings head rope over or right next to your anchor where the 2 can touch each other and don't expect that to be an issue you're plainly stupid.

A well set up mooring is one that's had all possible chafe issues removed or allowed for.

This vessel is about to have some serious ballistics grade anti chafe gear fitted to it's new and a lot bigger top rope.

Last time I had my mooring serviced, they put a heavy flexible pvc hose over the part that touched the spareman and roller without asking. A good job, I was impressed.

until said pipe cracks, and becomes a chafe hazard itself. at least that's what happened with ours...

Archived