Antifouling for Dummies

SthnJeff

Afternoon all

I am planning on hauling Tandara (Raven 26) out of the water in the next couple of weeks to have my first go at applying antifoul.

I intend using the same Antifoul that has been used on her in the past (Awlcraft by International Paints) and apply 2 coats by Roller

Obviously she will be Waterblasted when out of the water and then rubbed down with Wet and Dry before masking and then painting.

Other than getting someone else to do it, does any one have any tips or suggestions they may like to impart for things that may make life easier and also anything that should be checked while she is in a cradle.

While I want to do a good job, Tandara will never compete in the Americas cup so I am not overly concerned with making her .005% faster through the water by adding a mixture of fairy dust and reindeer droppings to the paint!

Cheers

Jeff

1 -- the prep is the hard part. if the growth isn't too bad, water blast and a light sand will do. easy. if there's more growth, then more sanding -- not so easy.

2 -- don't skimp on the paint. the first time we did it, we put it on waaay too thin. the whole point is that it wears away.

Start sanding asap after that it comes out. It will go quite hard after a.day or 2. I find the screens.on a pole sander pretty good. Make sure you a acople of.mates and.hoses keep the water up to it. As far as the painting goes same as any paint really maintain a wet edge avoid windy or very hot days if possible. I have found letting the paint get plenty of drying time before putting her back in the water help prolong the.life of the antifoul.

Plenty more info will come I'm sure as this subject has been done plenty have a search.

When my Boat was down here, all we used to do was Waterblast. You don't actually need to sand as long as the coating is Sound and has not flaked away leaving ruff patches and providing build up has not left a ruff surface or built up too much. Hopefully if the Boat has had plenty of use, then the coating should have worn away as it should and left little behind. Now when I say Waterblast, we did a really good job and had a very clean surface. A heck of a lot easier than sanding. But when we went into Westpark for antifouling, the guy wouldn't let me waterblast and he did a really poor job. There was heaps left on I had to scrape off and then sand back. A Horrible job. So even if you have to pay just a bit more to the waterblaster guy, ask him if he would do an extra specially clean job for you and you may not have to do too much of the hard work.

Of course if you are wanting a race finish, well that's an entirely different situation.

Paint the first coat one colour. (Sometimes one can use up all the old paint you have lying around from previous times. Can even be mixed if the same type for that OH so special and unique colour :clap: )

Then next TWO coats the different final colour that you want.

Then when the top two coats wear away, it is easy to se the first colour starting to show through which therefore gives lots of early warning that the top two coats are wearing out.

Give the leading edges of the keel, rudder and "reaL" water line at least two extra layers.

A 4 litre can will give two coats with half a litre to spare. I always use the 1/2 litre left to do a third coat round the water line.

Compare the costs of doing the job at Evans Bay (presume you're planning on Seaview), you might be pleasantly surprised, even if a little less convenient. Also there are other Ravens at Evans Bay and they'll give advice (even Pete on the travel lift has a Raven 26).

Look really hard at the forecast. It is very easy to find your boat stuck on the hard clocking up hard stand costs.

Someone mentioned keeping it wet, and he/she is absolutely right. Makes the job much easier if you've a hose available. I've sometimes managed to get Footprints done and dusted in 24 hours. Out on Friday afternoon, work like a demon doing the prep till it's dark, and then back early Saturday to do the anti fouling (use rollers and it only takes a couple of hours a coat). Also don't forget to change the anode.

Archived