The Great Barrier Express Race

Well done to the Multihull Yacht Club. A race to remember. Barrier is an amazing destination.

A light NE wind on the nose all the way is not too good for catamarans. I wasn't all that keen at the start. However surprisingly close with all the 8.5s. Close tacking dual with Voom all the way changing positions many times and finishing within five minutes of each other was great.

Seeing Clive on Dirty Deeds parked up too close, leeward side of Barrier not far from the finish made me laugh, at first I thought they were a cruiser with very nice sails, then they suddenly took off with a small gust of wind.

A great raft up and glad that we had the boom tents up, Voom bought a BBQ and most of his cruising gear, good to see Ken's ingenious set up.

Definitely do it again. All the other GBEs, 8.5s and cruising cats should do it with a prize for the most ingenious cruising setup.

. All the other GBEs, 8.5s and cruising cats should do it with a prize for the most ingenious cruising setup.

As voom is a GBE which is an 8.5 and a cruising boat, I must be a shoe in for that prize....

The racing was stupidly close between freedom and voom till near the end, when they got away though better tactical decision making  We would split by miles till we could hardly see each other, than cross tacks 50m apart.

As voom is a GBE which is an 8.5 and a cruising boat, I must be a shoe in for that prize....

Hmmm, I reckon the full Freedom cruising kit will give you a good run for your money!

Hmmm, I reckon the full Freedom cruising kit will give you a good run for your money!

sounds like a challenge. I did take the fridge, solar panels, tent sides, carpet and shower off for the race. So dont be so confident....

I did however, leave the queen airbed, the toilet, BBQ and table onboard.  No wonder we got last.

Archived