Safety Topics and concerns

Tim C

Thanks again for all of your comments.

At the YNZ Safety conference which I spoke to in the weekend I made the case for change for many of the items mentioned last week;

Number of Fire Extinguishers on Cat 3 boats without stoves.

Need for a depth sounder.

Strong onus on making sure rigs are secure when deep reefed. 8 masts have come down within the multihull fleet. That isn't acceptable.

Head room rule for keeping injured or sick crew sheltered, and consistent within Cat 3 boats (mono & multihull)

Modern boats (many imports) that have linked every compartment to a central bilge area, so risk sinking in the event of a holing.

Making the point that we have to keep costs of compliance for safety down or our fleet numbers will plummet. Most are well aware on this.

There was lots of discussion on flares. The OLEO LED type flares are very impressive and look effective. There was a general consensus to get rid of pyrotechnics as soon as possible. It may even be we lead on this one (rather than waiting for international change) but watch this space. Note their are considerable safety advantages in not having missiles and flares aboard, and obvious cost savings too. Watch this space.

Discussion on AIS beacons. Personally I think they should be optional with EPIRB for Cat 3. The EPIRB signal is invisible to a race fleet, and needs a round about route of getting a signal to boats near a vessel in distress.

Interesting report from Akarana about the Fiji race. There is an interesting conundrum between organisers and skippers taking responsibility for safety.

I've followed this all up since, and will keep you informed

Interesting report from Akarana about the Fiji race. There is an interesting conundrum between organisers and skippers taking responsibility for safety.

Any details on this or link to the document? I thought it was always skippers responsibility.

Any details on this or link to the document? I thought it was always skippers responsibility.

Not that I know of. It was an 'in house report' we were hearing about. The above was an observation, rather than anything else.

If a boat's tracker and SSB go down, at what point do the organisers get concerned? The race was run very professionally and I am not at all criticising here.

It is absolutely the skippers responsibility to be safe. Perhaps the challenge is with technology and trackers, observers can view progress and positions like never before, and be concerned in real time, rather than waiting for radio scheds.

All this talk of PLBs only used for retrieval of bodies I've decided to sell mine

so

If you want a GPS equipped PLB here's a chance to get one cheap. I'm selling mine by dutch auction next Monday. Figure out how much you want to pay, calculate what time you want to buy it and if it's still there, Presto, it's yours

http://www.trademe.co.nz/…/part…/other/auction-818812290.htm

Archived