Fast or is this fast

SloopJohnB

You know, i struggle to believe that. See it to believe it sort of thing. Especially if TWS is measured at the top of that thing!! That would equal roughly zero at water level. Still getting a yacht to move in 2kts is effing cool.

You know, i struggle to believe that. See it to believe it sort of thing. Especially if TWS is measured at the top of that thing!! That would equal roughly zero at water level. Still getting a yacht to move in 2kts is effing cool.

If you look at the rear of the AMA you will see the wind gear on a small mast just next to where the beam is attached. While not sea level, relatively speaking its closer to sea level than the masthead.

Regardless of the exact TWS you can see from the water that theye is bugger all there. So unless it's photoshopped then that thing really is flying 2 hulls and almost defying the laws of physics.

Which makes me wonder how they would cope with a fresh breeze given they can be fully powered up in less than 5kts true wind. If the rules say no upper limit then surely they must plan to reef down hard for the upwind legs?

Which makes me wonder how they would cope with a fresh breeze given they can be fully powered up in less than 5kts true wind. If the rules say no upper limit then surely they must plan to reef down hard for the upwind legs?

I think that's actually something the wing does well. They can flatten all/some of it out completely if they have to. Because they control the shape of the wing in eight sections they can even invert sections of the wing if they need to de-power it.

Have this shot, in 0 knts!

Aparently the VMG was "just wild"

Also have one of them in 23+ knots, the thing looks like a 12ft skiff with 3/4 of the boat out of the water.

Archived