Anchor chain re-galvanising

ballystick

Thanks for link to earlier topic. Possibly a piece of string question, but what are the guidelines on assessing need for new chain/galvanizing. We all know a lousy thin weak corroded one when we see it, but how to get it the stage when it's needing doing?

Yeah ballystick, same here! My Chain is 10mm PB from Ausy. KM says it's good stuff, and despite having already been re-galv 2x, Wheels tested a bit of it for me - still pretty close to spec!

Kevin, I'll let KM answer that, but for me, when the chain starts to drip rusty water, or looks rusty, time to do it again.... And some say it can only be done twice. That's why I tested mine first, before a third go..

I have had the boat since 2006 and it was 10 years old chain then its good chain IMHO.   I will look at cutting off a M each end and get that tested, it really does need a regalv....

Will need to look at the anchor chain swivell thing to see how it locks the chain in?

Just go park in kaiarara bay for a while and that will do the stripping process for you anyway.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon this year?.. a bit of a new thing.

A buddy was going spare about it ,and we didn't believe him until...........

Corrosion in dissolved salts, acids and bases. Zinc is not used in contact with acid and strong alkaline solutions, because it corrodes rapidly in such media.

Very dilute concentrations of acids accelerate corrosion rates beyond the limits of usefulness. Alkaline solutions of moderate strength are much less corrosive than corresponding concentrations of acid, but are still corrosive enough to impair the usefulness of zinc.

http://www.keytometals.com/Article40.htm

In Malaysia, in the tin mining areas, there is something in the mud that removes galvanizing almost overnight. Well known by the locals, but they don't know what it is!

I put it down to whatever minerals/ acids that have been washed down the valley and into the bay from the storms in June . The destruction to the forest and river bed and banks has to be seen to be believed . I was in the same bay last year for that ex TC and have anchored there many times over the last few decades. Its never happened to me before.  I should have taken a photo of the links  , like I said my chain is a bit light on galvanising at the moment and any slightly rusty link was either bright or in the process of becoming bright metal as the rust was being converted... literally bubbling off it.

Enough that after we went around the corner we  put everything we'd had out in Kaiarara out and in a couple of times to wash it.

We did go into the little coppermine in Kaiarara as it happens , you can't go in far, 30 or 40 ft maybe. The big one at miners head is amazing , but that's all blocked off by  grates now. Still a lot of ore in evidence all around there. The water at Coppermine bay at miners head was a really murky turquoise colour this year too.

Archived