Teak cockpit maintenance

Fogg

Teak cockpit floor and seats looking a bit tired in places and annoyingly when wet it gives off a dark colour that picks up on your feet which spreads over the white decks.

Any treatment recommendations to make it look better and prevent black feet?

If its not too bad give it a scrub with oxalic acid then rinse with fresh water. If its serious there a two pack teak cleaner out there that is pretty aggressive. If its really bad give it a wet sand (wet and dry 200 odd grit) and oxalic acid then rinse with fresh.

Oxalic acid will also remove rust/water staining around the waterline and is a weak acid (like vinegar) so no real drama or risks. Most chandleries have both products.

OK, thanks, I'll give the oxalic a try first.

Do you think that will also stop the black feet issue when the teak is wet with rain or sea water?

Cheers

Only way to clean teak properly is to throw heaps of salt water at it and then lightly scrub with the feet of Talibani virgins if you can find any that have not blown themselves up all preferably whilst sailing joy fully.

Cleaners, washes & chemicals are a natural enemy of teak.

For christ sake once clean do not then apply a "hey I am going to look like a newly laid teak deck for ever" product on top.

Thanks. Let you know how I go with progressive treatments. No risk of attempting a chemical 'new look' though - it would be at odds with the skipper.

Napisan powder,,,    sprinkle on wet deck and scrub in leave for 5 mins, rescrub... leave 5 mins wash off,   its an oxy cleaner and bleaches to a sanded look.    after first application next time you dont need very much napisan, ands really just a wash over.    Just done my entire decks and they look GREAT

Second on the wet and forget , but that's more a  preventative measure ..You do that late in the season to stop the green mould building up over winter. The green turns into the black and etc etc.

Archived