1/4 ton cup 30yrs on

Quarterback

How many current 1/4 ton type yacht owners would interested in sailing for the Trophy (PHG Lynn Quarter ton Cup )

I would like to sail it as part of the PYBC two handed weekend 10th March 2011 ???? and or fully crewed Triangles following

If you are interested E to info@pybc.org.nz att John Bennett or call me at Sparloft 5793923

PS could also find the South Pacific 1/2 ton cup last won by News papper Taxi if any 1/2 to owners are interested

Hi John,

I would be a starter for this..... :clap:

It might be good motivation for some of the hidden quarter tonners to be brought back into operation again.

I've been lax in getting in to see you in follow up of the chat we had a while back.

It would make for some fun to be able to do a race like this 2 handed so the quarter tonners racing would also qualify in the 2 handed 3 legged results......

Theres been disscussion for a while now....How many people could be motivated to either beg or borrow a quarter tonner to get out to a race like this?

It seems the 727 fella's are the only vaguely organised 1/4 tonners out there....as they have been for quite some time.

Quarter pints only coming if its blowing 20 knots solid or over other wise mumbo jumbo and smokey joe might beat us...

It was a ghost wind blowing the other week I swear..... :sailor:

Although Smokey has been going well in the light stuff lately.

I'll add THe Quarter Pint did beat Mumbo to the Finish that day!

Missed you in the racing weekend just gone...Couple of good races had once the wind filled in. We had one BAAAD race (2 winch handles mysteriously lost overboard in one tack!!???) and one rather good race. First race abandoned due to lack of wind to get us around the top mark soon enough!

Infiltrator expected (based on dock chatter) to come out with the Up to 26 next harbour course race day..So could be a few 1/4 tonners out if your able to get the 1/4 pint team to make it.

Any thoughts on other 1/4 ton boats we could motivate to some start lines around the harbour?

I really like the offer from Panmure- so keen to support this to be a successful event...It can only be good for small keel boat racing.

Toles

Sailed 727 Green Pepper in the Panmure 2H 3L (or the SSANZ?) race over the same course a few years ago.

Great course and very enjoyable.

Re running a regatta for the ¼ ton cup we will be having a sailing Committee meeting to look at a series in March 2011 over the 2 handed weekend 11th 12th 13th (Two Handed)

Fri Evening to Ponui (North Harbour) then Sat to North Cove Kawau with a Beach party on Sat evening returning to Auckland Sunday along with 3-4 Olympic triangle or W/L courses over the weekend of 5th & 6th (Fully crewed)

Out of town boats may also look at the BMW on the 19th-20th March

There is a whiting looking for a new owner at Panmure (qantel ex Miss Premier Plastics 1980 )

Bullet the winer of the 1980 series has been refitted in Tahiti

Overdraft is at PYBC along with a Atkinson 25

could also find the South Pacific 1/2 ton cup last won by News papper Taxi if any 1/2 to owners are interested

how many other Half Tonners keen? Ruffian may be... depending on location and how much work i have left to do... too cold to sit on the piles trying to work without power :lol: :lol:

Re running a regatta for the ¼ ton cup we will be having a sailing Committee meeting to look at a series in March 2011 over the 2 handed weekend 11th 12th 13th (Two Handed)

Fri Evening to Ponui (North Harbour) then Sat to North Cove Kawau with a Beach party on Sat evening returning to Auckland Sunday along with 3-4 Olympic triangle or W/L courses over the weekend of 5th & 6th (Fully crewed)

Out of town boats may also look at the BMW on the 19th-20th March

There is a whiting looking for a new owner at Panmure (qantel ex Miss Premier Plastics 1980 )

Bullet the winer of the 1980 series has been refitted in Tahiti

Overdraft is at PYBC along with a Atkinson 25

If your talking 5th/6th of April 2011- I can say now I can't take part or at least complete the proposed series.....divorce is the leading cause of what makes yachting one of the most expensive sports to be involved in....

Toles

Proposed schedule 2 weekends for the PGH Trophy 7 races

March 5th & 6th Olympic - w/l courses Fully crewed

Then 11th 12th 13th March 2 handed 3 legged Black Heart Rum series (two up )

then the out of town plus others can do the BMW 19 -20

Apologies if this is considered thread drift, but could one of you fine people please explain to me, once and for all, what exactly the terms 'quarter tonner' and 'half tonner' refer to, and what the significance is?? Is it something to do with displacement, or what? I've been baffled for years, and no-one has yet given me a satisfactory explanation!

Much obliged, :D

Guest Dry Reach
Apologies if this is considered thread drift, but could one of you fine people please explain to me, once and for all, what exactly the terms 'quarter tonner' and 'half tonner' refer to, and what the significance is?? Is it something to do with displacement, or what? I've been baffled for years, and no-one has yet given me a satisfactory explanation!

Much obliged, :D

http://www.quartertonclass.org/

1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, and 2 ton cups all from the 70's IOR era and were "loose" names given to the different size classes based around a IOR calculation that gave different Rated length bands.

Looks like it might be easier to find the Holy Grail than any actual linkage to tonnageness in the usual sense of the [non] word:

The IOR concentrated on hull shape with length, beam, freeboard and girth measurements, foretriangle, mast and boom measurements, and stability with an inclination test. Additionally, the IOR identified features which were dangerous, or it couldn't fairly rate, and penalized or prohibited them. The measurements and penalties were used to compute the handicap number, called an IOR length, in feet. A typical IOR 40 footer (a one tonner) rated 30.55 feet.

The IOR is also used to define level classes, which instead of time correction, a boat in a given class-level has an IOR-length less than a specified value. The Ton Classes (Mini Ton, 1/4 Ton, 1/2 Ton, 3/4 Ton, 1 Ton, and Two Ton)--as well as 50-footer, ULDB 70, and Maxi classes--are examples.

All from Wikipedia, the rest is worth a read if you are still interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... shore_Rule

Guest Dry Reach
Thanks DR, but I still don't know what the tonnage relates to though!

Where's KM when you need him??

it doesn't! its just a class name for each sized class.

Km's ranting about unions, slaves and rooting on the other thread!

Just here sweetie, don't stress :lol:

Basically the 'ton' rules are a set of complex formula that when applied to a fast boat make it go slower, just like many other similar rules. IOR is the one used to slow down boats wanting to be 'Tonners'.

Besides that they are a formula which is used to produce a number just like you do when working out a handicap, which the ratings basically are. What that number is means you are a 1/4 tonner, 1/2 tonner and so on inside that system. As the designers knew the formula boats were tweaked to maximise it so we ended up with some strange looking beasts with lumps bumbs and curves in many strange places. The same sort of system is used with the 12 meter rule Murky mentions, the 10 Rater rule and others.

They have bugger all to do with a 1/4 tonner actually weighing 1/4 of a ton, a 12mt measuring 12mts and so on. The names used are more just a name to gather a bunch of similar speed boats under. Many of these rules date way way back and have been tweaked and/or renamed over the years.

Many might knot realise that the 'R.Y.S. £100 Cup' or more commonly known as the '100 Guinea Cup' after the engraver got pissed and did the cup wrong, which then morphed into the Americas Cup was mainly made up of boats using the 10 Rater rule. That rule is still in use today but mainly in the RC yacht area even though 40 to 60fters used the exact same rule back on that fateful day in 18 Oh something. But here are a few bigger boats who still sail under the 10 Rater measurements today. The 10 Rater rule is one where it's the square feet of sail area to the length of the boat divided by the number of ice cubes available to go into the rums type of deal. A bit like IOR but a lot simpler.

Trying to think of a similar thing ladies maybe able to relate too a little easier, in a very non-sexist way obviously ;) but can only come up with BMI, Body Mass Index. They measure bits of you here, bits there, punch a calculator and come back saying 'you're a fat bastard' even when one would think some aren't. Then you get rated into the 'need only a few tweaks on the weights' class, the 'hot chicks doing Zumba' class or the '10 years of treadmill eating only one lettuce' class, depending on your level of fat bastardness.

All just hocus pocus with numbers really BB. Knot dissimilar to PHRF :twisted: :wink:

Hopefully that makes a little sense.

Guest Dry Reach

Just here sweetie, don't stress :lol:

Basically the 'ton' rules are a set of complex formula that when applied to a fast boat make it go slower, just like many other similar rules. IOR is the one used to slow down boats wanting to be 'Tonners'.

Besides that they are a formula which is used to produce a number just like you do when working out a handicap, which the ratings basically are. What that number is means you are a 1/4 tonner, 1/2 tonner and so on inside that system. As the designers knew the formula boats were tweaked to maximise it so we ended up with some strange looking beasts with lumps bumbs and curves in many strange places. The same sort of system is used with the 12 meter rule Murky mentions, the 10 Rater rule and others.

They have bugger all to do with a 1/4 tonner actually weighing 1/4 of a ton, a 12mt measuring 12mts and so on. The names used are more just a name to gather a bunch of similar speed boats under. Many of these rules date way way back and have been tweaked and/or renamed over the years.

Many might knot realise that the 'R.Y.S. £100 Cup' or more commonly known as the '100 Guinea Cup' after the engraver got pissed and did the cup wrong, which then morphed into the Americas Cup was mainly made up of boats using the 10 Rater rule. That rule is still in use today but mainly in the RC yacht area even though 40 to 60fters used the exact same rule back on that fateful day in 18 Oh something. But here are a few bigger boats who still sail under the 10 Rater measurements today. The 10 Rater rule is one where it's the square feet of sail area to the length of the boat divided by the number of ice cubes available to go into the rums type of deal. A bit like IOR but a lot simpler.

Trying to think of a similar thing ladies maybe able to relate too a little easier, in a very non-sexist way obviously ;) but can only come up with BMI, Body Mass Index. They measure bits of you here, bits there, punch a calculator and come back saying 'you're a fat bastard' even when one would think some aren't. Then you get rated into the 'need only a few tweaks on the weights' class, the 'hot chicks doing Zumba' class or the '10 years of treadmill eating only one lettuce' class, depending on your level of fat bastardness.

All just hocus pocus with numbers really BB. Knot dissimilar to PHRF :twisted: :wink:

Hopefully that makes a little sense.

god, and people say i dribble on about nothing.

I think my short paragraph, above, says the same thing !

and you have worse thread drift "within thread drift " than moi too!

Well I'd suggest 2 things DR.

1 - post faster so I can see your para

and

2 - stop fecking quoting everything every time. Rather than take 1/3 a page quoting the post directly above a simple 'KM you dick' would have sufficed.

3 actually - look back and I think Murkys para I didn't see was better than the post of yours I didn't see :)

But you are probably right.

Archived