Stolen Yacht

That's not good for recovery potential. I was wondering why anyone would steal such a distinctive boat on the basis that they must have wanted the boat for lifestyle.

If they're on the run they've just stolen it for transport and they'll probably discard it when they're where they want to be.

years ago

there was a guy stole a yacht down south

sailed it out across the pacific about 100miles

before he taught himself how to tack 

then sailed it back until it hit the beach just north of sumner

That's a bit spooky. Teach me for asking!

This morning, Detective Mark Colmer said police were investigating whether Bennett and Wright were linked to the theft of a 14-metre cruising cutter called Harlech (registration 395083), which was stolen from Opua in the Bay of Islands on February 3.

The boat was suitable for travelling in the open waters of the Pacific Ocean, he said.

"If someone was trying to… escape New Zealand, it's the perfect vessel for that.

"We are looking into any possible link."

Kaikohe police were keeping Christchurch detectives looking for Bennett and Wright "in the loop" as their investigation progressed, Colmer said.

The last confirmed sighting of Bennett was in Nelson on June 3 last year. Prior to that, he had been seen selling cars in Auckland and Dunedin.

There have been no confirmed sightings of Wright since a fraud complaint was lodged with police on May 10.

Bennett and Wright had been living at a $900-a-week, three-bedroom rental property in Christchurch until they told their landlord they were going on holiday about May 6.

Jacomb spoke to Bennett shortly before then and queried him about invoices he suspected had been digitally manipulated.

Police made their first public appeal for information about the couple in connection with an ongoing fraud investigation on June 7.

Bennett was born in Waikato and has a long reported history of eluding police.

He once talked his way into becoming the helicopter pilot for Hollywood actor Russell Crowe. However, he was later found to have no pilot's licence.

Police said Bennett had used fake passports and at least 15 different aliases. He and Wright were also known to change their appearance.

An investigation by The Press found police may have come face-to-face with the pair a number of times in Australia and New Zealand in recent years.

On once occasion, Bennett was pulled over during a roadside breath-test in Tauranga but slipped through undetected, a source confirmed.

The couple have spent time in Nelson, Wanaka and Christchurch since 2011 – trading in Rolex watches online and often through Trade Me.

In each location, they lived in high-end rental accommodation and were able to avoid paying a bond.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on (03) 3637400 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

ALSO KNOWN AS

Paul James Bennett's known aliases: Paul James Williams, David Kite, Dennis Kite, Paul Lochead, David Hanson.

Simone Anne Wright's known aliases: Sarah Kite, Sarah Shaw, Simone Thalia Williams, Simone Thalia Wright. 

- The Press

Clutching at straws I think unless there is a reason to link the two stories that the police are keeping quiet. There has been no sight of the pair for 8 months. Nobody knows where they are or even if they are in the country. 

I'd think the boat has either headed straight out or straight down. Very unlikely to be sitting up the coast somewhere, very distinctive and too many eyes

Guest Ketchup

Clutching at straws I think unless there is a reason to link the two stories that the police are keeping quiet. There has been no sight of the pair for 8 months. Nobody knows where they are or even if they are in the country. 

I'd think the boat has either headed straight out or straight down. Very unlikely to be sitting up the coast somewhere, very distinctive and too many eyes

Agree. These scumbag are offshore / in Aussie and the boat sunk/abandoned.

Pity there is no AIS tracker on her.

Guest Ketchup

If the boat headed offshore, customs might have an idea on its location or direction of travel.

I don,t think thieves worry about that stuff, safety gear, trip logs etc...

IF it is actually stolen. I guess I'm getting cynical with age, but my first reaction is that a boat for sale for some time, then when no sales are forthcoming is "stolen" seems a bit suspicious to me. Of course, it COULD be genuine, it just seems a bit suspect to me.

I was thinking more along the customs flights looking for illegals/smugglers.

Is there not some sort of border security monitoring NZ waters?

don't think our 7 orions could fly enough to provide that kind of coverage

continual satellite coverage might do it

but doubt they have the people, sats and funding to watch and track every yacht, everyday  

IF it is actually stolen. I guess I'm getting cynical with age, but my first reaction is that a boat for sale for some time, then when no sales are forthcoming is "stolen" seems a bit suspicious to me. Of course, it COULD be genuine, it just seems a bit suspect to me.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Didn't want to say as I don't know the owners. Must be getting cynical in my old age.

Guest Ketchup

Sorry Rush man, yeah I thought that too but then looked at our resources and thought ... big ocean, tight budget, and 2.5 planes.

Insurance fraud is a good possibility. But how do you dispose of it and. Not get caught or seen?

Sink it offshore then row the tender back?

Fire is the best option a long as it sinks?