first world problems - which boat?

So, I've decided to jump back into things with more than one wet spot, and have narrowed the choice, based on size, price, performance etc to three boats on trademe at present..

Most of the time the boat will be used for weekend cruising around the gulf with wife and 3 young kids, but will occasionally join in with a bit of racing, with even a bit of coastal cruising thrown in for good measure.

The rest of the family don't really like life on a lean, and the Cherry is a bit small for much more than a local race or day sail. 

First off there is Tribesman, an 8 meter tri by G Ambrose, which looks like it meets all the criteria, has enough accommodation, space etc. to fulfill all the cruising aspects, but performance is completely unknown, at least to me. Looks like it may fit the 8.5 rule, although I've not run a tape over it. 

Then there is Hard Drive, TC's 8 meter cat. Designed to fit the 8.5 rule, so would easily be the fastest of the three. Not really sure about the accommodation in this, and would it scare the family too much?

Also on trademe is a Ron Given Sundowner cat. Slightly smaller at 7.3m, rumoured to be quite quick back in the day, low maintenance, probably similar accommodation to the 8.5, but designed to be demountable for trailing easily, actually comes on a trailer, so no mooring/antifouling costs, but again, would it be too scary for the wife and kids? 

I'm guessing the 8.5 guys would be saying go for Hard Drive, and believe me, the racer in me wants to, but if anyone knows anything about these three boats and may be able to give an objective view, I'd love to hear it.

For one time, I'll actually listen to advice, instead of giving it, because when it comes to multi's, anything over 16 feet is beyond my knowledge base.

Cheers all, 

Aaron.

Hi Aaron, Not much advice given is there!  I will chuck in my opinion if its of any use.

Firstly, I'd skip the sundowner, hard drive would have similar negatives, but a lot more positives (faster, bigger, lighter).  Hard drive is pretty competitive in 8.5 racing, so if racing is of interest, that would be the pick of the bunch.  

You only scare the family if you try to.  reefing down early will help, and the lack of heeling is nice.  

If more interested in cruising, the tribesman will have more interior space, but I have no idea on performance at all.

If cruising on the sundowner or hard drive, you will need a good boom tent.

not much help sorry, have fun choosing.

Thanks for the response.

I'm tending towards tribesman, there's something about tri's which i find very appealling, although aside from a brief sail on a friend's Trifly (remember those? Kinda like an unpopular 80's Weta without the go-fast bits) and an even briefer sail on another mates Piver, I've never sailed in one.

I contacted the owner, and was advised that although not a race boat, double digit speeds are pretty normal. Which compared to the laser or cherry seems pretty darn fast. Also has a centerboard, so should point ok too.

Whatever I end up with, she'll make an appearance at the Crew rum race. Matt if you read this, aim for a Friday arvo please!!

Cheers.

Hard drive all the way. The 8.5 fleet rules this boat would be the best buck for speed by a long way. Anyone that does buy this boat would be a criminal if they didn't race it. Tim Clisold knows how to build fast comfortable catamarans. The boat would be easily crewed with two. The shorthanded winter series is awesome on these boat. Finish the coastal classic before dark,  Today all the multis finished way ahead of the rest of the fleet.

Always get the best anchorige very close to the beach. There are descent boom tent designs out there that turn the boat into a fantastic cruiser add carpet bean bags there is ample room for a party.

So, I've decided to jump back into things with more than one wet spot, and have narrowed the choice, based on size, price, performance etc to three boats on trademe at present..

Most of the time the boat will be used for weekend cruising around the gulf with wife and 3 young kids, but will occasionally join in with a bit of racing, with even a bit of coastal cruising thrown in for good measure.

The rest of the family don't really like life on a lean, and the Cherry is a bit small for much more than a local race or day sail. 

First off there is Tribesman, an 8 meter tri by G Ambrose, which looks like it meets all the criteria, has enough accommodation, space etc. to fulfill all the cruising aspects, but performance is completely unknown, at least to me. Looks like it may fit the 8.5 rule, although I've not run a tape over it. 

Then there is Hard Drive, TC's 8 meter cat. Designed to fit the 8.5 rule, so would easily be the fastest of the three. Not really sure about the accommodation in this, and would it scare the family too much?

Also on trademe is a Ron Given Sundowner cat. Slightly smaller at 7.3m, rumoured to be quite quick back in the day, low maintenance, probably similar accommodation to the 8.5, but designed to be demountable for trailing easily, actually comes on a trailer, so no mooring/antifouling costs, but again, would it be too scary for the wife and kids? 

I'm guessing the 8.5 guys would be saying go for Hard Drive, and believe me, the racer in me wants to, but if anyone knows anything about these three boats and may be able to give an objective view, I'd love to hear it.

For one time, I'll actually listen to advice, instead of giving it, because when it comes to multi's, anything over 16 feet is beyond my knowledge base.

Cheers all, 

Aaron.

If you want fast then Hard drive is the way to go. 

I looked at the Given Cat when it was for sail back in 2002. The only reason I didn't buy it was that I was about to head off overseas for a few months. From memory the hulls are about a meter wide - seemed a lot more roomy than a GBE, but definitely cruising oriented - has small keels like a Nacra and no boards.

Tribesman was built by my uncles neighbour who then went on to own Red Alert. The center hull is based on a surfboat and it has Buccaneer 24 floats. I've never sailed on it but the few times I saw it out it seemed to move along quite well.

I would expect Tribesman to be faster than the Given, but the split accommodation of a cat may have some advantages if you are cruising with children. If you want to try a tri (sorry) you're welcome to come for a sail on mine any time. Just PM.

Of course I'm biased and would say Hard Drive too. and yes it would need a good deck tent.

The problem with little trimarans, much as I'm sure they are lovely to sail, is that there is relatively little room and no privacy as your family grows up. Any cat has four corners/berths, so that anyone of the crew feeling grumpy can escape to their 'corner' and have a private read or sleep. Much harder to that on a tri or mono of the same length. 

For that reason I wouldn't discount the Sundowner. It is probably the one here in Sandspit you are looking at. A competent little boat, well built and thought out. Well worth a look as a family cruiser too. Really nice use of space. And you could dismantle it and take it home

Hi Tim, I haven't seen you since the PT nat's at Mercury Bay back in the early 90's. Sail number 862 if i remember rightly. I had 897.

I'm leaning towards the tri purely because I like the way they look under sail when fully powered up. Plus my wife says the double bed is far more appealing than the singles.

I may be wrong, but I think it's easier to tell when you're getting close to the limit with a submersible ama, as once you go too far the boat slows down quite a lot. Which seems like quite a nice touch when sailing with young family. In the 2013 Crew rum race with the breeze up around 25 knots off Orakei, my then 2 year old was not a happy bunny in the Cherry, so something that doesn't lean over much should keep the peace.

I'm still into going fast, and love to race, so it's going to be a compromise either way.

Will be checking out all three (and perhaps a few others) in the next few weeks, I'm just buying a house first. Probably buying the boat around the end of the month.

Right, well, the house purchase is now sorted, so I can buy a boat. I've even got Gina to agree.

And in perfect timing, this has just turned up on Trademe...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=878836362

Seems to tick every box, and may even give the Capricorn boys a hurry up on a good day.

Rushing off to Okahu Bay for a look-see now.

Would be nice but wife is not going to let me spend very much. Only the cash I have left over, and I need some of that for roof repairs on the new place.

The tri wins cos if we need to, we can trail it home

Te Kooti was my dream boat for years - every time I took the old wharram out I'd have a drool over it as we motored past (it was moored nearby), but I always figured it would be out of my price range.Then I saw it on trade me for low 30s a few years ago, just as I crossed into the 30k zone building Mysterex.......I still think its a great design - heaps built in Aus and a production version too. 

And for the red 720 farrier that was my old boat. , very nice boat to sail , it been in my family for 30year I trust this boat to the moon and back little room tho cheer lance

This is the size/price I'm looking at really.

I'd love to get Hard Drive and race it, but in the real world, it would be a waste, as my family would rather cruise, and the guys I would want to crew with me all have their own small boats and race them. Te Kooti would be a similar story.

yeh went past her yesterday up the Tamaki - was admiring as I approached it long before I saw the name on the side.  Didn't realise she was there now - about 300m south of the might Krisis.

No problem with tris graham, my last boat was a tri. I just meant the space on te kooti is pretty awesome compared to small tri like the trailer tri or capricorn or the other one he was looking at. The space on the bigger farriers is pretty impressive.