Auckland to Tauranga Race

The race is being held on Thursday April 2nd and will be sponsored again by International Paints plus PIC Insurance. We would love to see you again down in the Bay.

Who's coming? I hope Team Vodafone will make it this time to break Zana and Sundreamer's records 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Shane, I don't know why that mistake always turns up. Keeping past history of races is harder than it should be with personnel changes etc. 

My most memorable race was the year the 50 knot squall flattened the fleet, capsized Catabatic - what a ride!

My apologies to Shane B for publicising the wrong info previously, I have searched our club for the 2009 race information, entries and results and I am still searching for it....

Anyway Shane and his crew did win the Akld to Tga race in 2009 on line and in a record time for Multihulls under 10.6 metres (can't remember the exact length) of 10 hrs 11 mins 10 seconds.

I guess this will never be beaten given the state of the coastal multihull scene.

Sundreamer's record may go this year if Vodafone can get the right conditions.

I guess this will never be beaten given the state of the coastal multihull scene.

Pretty negatively worded comment.

I've done the race twice, on multis, not mine.  Thats plenty. Interesting course, but bad timing (easter), average finish location.

So you well may be right.

I suppose it is negative but it would be great to see more smaller multis doing the race, is it the insurance or Cat 3 or the timing. 

By finish location do you mean - at the entrance to Tga Harbour? 

I mean tauranga in general!

last time I came down we were in the 'other' marina, logistics are hard.

Its not (for me) cat 3 or insurance.

Mostly timing to be honest.  long weekends are hard to come by, and I'm not allowed to use too many for racing. cruising is legit, as is coastal.

The race finishes outside the harbour at "A Bouy" to avoid being dicked by the tide.

When you get to Tauranga, the Jazz festival will be in full swing.

I have had many an adventure on Multihulls on this race including not flipping Pussycat in the Squall that flipped Catabatic.

You cannot deny the participation of the Multihulls / 8.5m has been quite low in the last few years.

What will it take to raise the numbers?

That is what I really wanted to trigger, some more interest but I didn't mean it to be so negative, with lower numbers competing, everyone except for deep draft keelers get to stay in the Sulphur Point Marina - no more than a stumble from the club and reasonable walking district to downtown Tauranga