Extending the mast

johnMi

Thanks all for your help, and after listening to your advice, have bitten the bullet and ordered a new section.

Wheels, thanks for your advice and offer.

GregW, a question then, I think the stronger chainplate thing is irrelevant. It would have been designed for the maximum possible load before capsizing. I am not altering the stability, so no more stress will be added. what do you think?

Samin, I am adding another halyard so might put on a barber hauler on to make it masthead if necessary. At th moment only have one halyard for both screacher and genniker

Samin, I see capricorn is about 700 odd kg, similar to putiki express. your mast is about 11 metres, similar to what i will have. what size was your genniker, and main, do you know?

If I can get to capricorn's calibre I'll be more than happy.

GregW, a question then, I think the stronger chainplate thing is irrelevant. It would have been designed for the maximum possible load before capsizing. I am not altering the stability, so no more stress will be added. what do you think?

Hi John, It may well be irrelevant, I have no idea. You were talking about replicating a larger factory rig therefore, to me, it would seem prudent to check the spec of the attachment points.

Samin, I see capricorn is about 700 odd kg, similar to putiki express. your mast is about 11 metres, similar to what i will have. what size was your genniker, and main, do you know?

If I can get to capricorn's calibre I'll be more than happy.

Ill take that as a complement, thanks :D

Capricorns main is approx 27m2 which is the same size as Creepy Crawlers new main (he has shorter boom and longer mast now)

Masthead Gennaker is around 78m2

Archived