Introduction - 8.5 Meter Cat Terrapin

Excellent - thanks for the comments all.   I'll post the result later this year.  Thanks for the shot of Euphoria as well.

I envy you guys being able to sail right now - here is what we are dealing with for the next few days.   The boat is covered with snow....

I expect to post some payback photos in the June timeframe....

OPqeNTx.jpg

(and she now floats again - was going to throw the sails up and take a pic for Clipper's benefit but there was just nothing out there that it wasn't worth the effort.  Nice cruise up the estuary though.)

• Upvote 2

Seeing that weather forecast brings back memories...

Racing in Axbridge (UK) on new years day. Daytime high of 1 degree C, sailing most of thew race in -6. It was so cold that when I dipped the end of the laser boom in the water that the mainsheet froze. For the next few minutes the sheet had a 90 degree kink, which wasn't great on the reach.

And even wearing two wetsuits (shorty under a steamer, and windbreak on top) once I got a dunking I couldn't warm up again.

Don't really blame you for not wanting to go sailing, it certainly curbed my enthusiasm for a few weeks.

Enjoy the boat, enjoy the forum, enjoy the sailing... That's what we all hope to do!

Clipper - Is your boat out of the water now?  I wonder if you might take a pic or two next time you're at your boat.  I want to see how you rigged that bobstay.  

I'm thinking 7mm Colligo DUX - does that sound too beefy?   

Thanks,

In the middle of the front beam, there is just  a ring, with a spinnaker pole beak i the prod. easy to clip on and off.

Down low on the bows, there was a u bolt that went through one side of the hull. It was causing distortion, so I removed the u bolt, fitted a block of cedar into the bow (prick of a job) and drilled right through the hull. Inserted 2 tubes, and bobstay now lashed through the hull. as in, goes from the inside, through to outside, then back through the other tube. Works well, no leaks, better load distribution.

Agree with freedoms comments re sails, but if you were asking about furling asymmetric spinnakers instead of furling screecher, that might be a different story.  Although, with such a big foredeck, a well set up asym is easy to hoist and drop with no furler, and a much wider use window.  No one I am aware of in the 8.5s has a furling asym(?) just furling screechers.  

Thanks Clipper.  I look forward to it.   I haul out for the season in about a month.    

BTW - I have great fun wading through the colloquialism's on this forum!  I'm sure you guys would enjoy our local fishing forum just as much.

I'm pretty sure you're saying 7mm bobstay is plenty strong, and perhaps too much?

I plan to wind my own fiberglass tubes for this, and as of right now, they will go right through the stem.  On the outside, I intend to form a channel with the router to allow the line to be faired to the skin (perhaps with caulk or something.   Then back through another tube to the other side and a knot.   The knot will be recessed, caulked, but accessible for replacement.