2015 Route 66: Cat 4 Race from Auckland to Marsden Cove

Richmond

The Route 66 is Richmond Yacht Club’s “short” coastal race – 66nm from Auckland to Marsden Cove, Whangarei. Organised in association with Onerahi YC, the race includes open keeler, multihull and singlehanded divisions. With a 9AM start you’ll finish Friday evening with time to join in the party at Marsden Cove Marina. It is a great introduction to coastal racing for new boats as the safety requirements are Cat 4+ and the fleet stays within the barrier islands.

OYC and RYC invite you to join our annual coastal race from Auckland to Whangarei

Start at 9am on Friday 6 March
66nm Cat 4+ coastal race – see NOR for details
Divisions include open keeler, multihull and a singlehanded division presented by SSANZ
Finishing prizes, free berthing and the famous party on arrival at Marsden Cove
Breakfast and prizegiving on Saturday morning

For more info and entry form visit www.richmondyc.org.nz

I'm doing the race again this year, for the fourth time. Easily one of the most enjoyable Yacht Races on the calendar. Not just a great destination, but really well run. So helpful to have people on the water and at the dock when we got in. 

There should be a contingent of monohulls coming from Sandspit this year too.

If you are thinking about it, then it's time to enter! 

Latest News

The Marsden Cove Route 66 is THIS FRIDAY! Get your entries in... deadline is 5PM Wednesday. The forecast is just getting better and better - time to crack sheets and head to Marsden Cove.

A special treat for all finishers this year will be provided by SailIQ - a Route 66 crew bag... to hold the rum, of course!

SailIQ-Bag-300x274.jpg

So will it be upwind the whole way??

Will the breeze shift late in the day and the little boats come reaching home at the end to win?

Is the small fleet this year weather related?

For sure the best ride will be under gennaker early morning saturday heading home before the breeze goes w/ sw

not really looking forward to going upwind again  but as they say. upwind there downwind home.

racing up single handed .....for the challenge, but i have crew driving up sat monring to help bring the boat home, so am looking for possibly crew off another boat that are wanting to drive our car back to auckland.

as im doing the race please call Nicola on 021 817 124 if you can help out

Fixed the link. There is no need to create a link in this software for a video - just paste in the URL in plain txt - it will recognize it and embed it. Thanks Phil, good vid!

I'd describe it as a long race and the seas as moderate. I never saw more than 26 knots apparent. The start was a disaster- as I headed back to the start the tiller extension holder pin fell out! How the keeper pin unwound itself is a mystery. However after finding some clear space after the start I engaged the AP, found a new keeper pin and got going again. Boat felt OK under main and jib although with the benefit of hind sight it may have been quicker with a reef. The trip to Tiri was pretty much bash and crash and a couple of ugly tacks. Still need to shift the winches so that everything is close to hand. I held a long easterly board after Tiri and came back to cross just south of Flat Rock and still in touch with the other S.Hders. Another long board out was a mistake and I paid dearly. The wind died at Cape Rodney and I went to sleep for 30 minutes! Power napping is good but remember to set the alarm every 10 minutes. Breeze kicked back in from slightly behind and I was able to climb back toward the UNITEC. He had a 0 set while I had opted to change to a light weight over lapper. We level pegged until about 3.00AM when I finally found a lane and sat on top. Got a good break into the harbour and finished ahead. Great fun racing boats that are so close over such a long distance, one on one. One rum and sleep at 4.00. Up for prize giving and sailed home Saturday. In bed at home by 12.00. Beautiful sail down the coast to Kawau and then the squall hit. I ran before it. 12-15 knots of BS under main only with 37.5 knots of apparent! Wild. Down side was that it took nearly two hours to motor up the roughest harbour I can ever remember. Slept well on Sunday. Congratulations to the other SH who finished. See you at the Devonport race next month.

I had a great race on Scintilla, but unfortunately I could not complete the race. I am sure I am in for next years tho.

I noticed someone on Sundreamer taking photos after the start, any chance to get my hands on the foto?

Archived