Anchor Connections Warning!

Island Time

Here is an image of an Anchor swivel, common in NZ, that has failed due to side loading.

Swivel.jpg

In this case the anchor actually held, but fell off the chain while the anchor was being retrieved!

The problem was side load. These swivels are often incorrectly attached directly to the anchor - there should be a few (3-4) links of chain BETWEEN the anchor and swivel, to ensure it can't get side loading and the boat swings around the anchor.

Do you have a swivel? Is it attached correctly? Maybe you should check?

That depends on your set-up. All chain can sometimes get away without one. Rope sometimes twists in the capstan, esp laid (like 3 strand etc). Personally, my set-up needs one or the chain twists up. + the rocna anchor often comes to the boat upside-down. If you don't know if you need one, try without, install one only if needed.

Oh, and the DD shaped ones like the top pick above, with bolt between - most are crap, and fail early. KM has tested them and may comment further.

Eric, I would think the older style is still susceptible to side loading if direct to anchor?

(this is not from any experience with anchor swivels, just shackles in a rigging sense)

It's pretty clear from this why direct connection to the anchor is a bad idea. My question is why do they appear to be manufactured to allow this?

From the images here it appears there is a short slot that will only allow a chain link to be attached whereas the other end has a longer slot capable of accepting the anchor shank. Why are both slots not capable of only accepting a chain link if this is how they should be connected?

had one of those things and took it off ages ago after hearing bad reports. We have a Rocna and only very occasionally it comes up upside down but it is not a big deal. I sleep easier knowing it is one item that is not there to fail.

I'd rather my daughter went out with a methamphetamine dealer on a motorbike than have one of those things between my boat and family and the rocks. I've never had a problem with my rocna getting turned back either.

Well, apart from the time it flipped out of the fairlead..... I fitted a spectra strop to captivate it after that.

i'll study mine again then

pretty sure i'll find it's like;

the bronze jib hanks, mast, rigging, anchor, chain, engine, etc and everything else on my little north sea baby

european made, 1 over-size + waaaaaay over spec for a narrow 25' boat

I told my D2 a few times that she would be better off using Meth or Heroin than watching some bullshit Aussie soap she does. Something came up in Social Studies and she repeated that to her teacher. I got spoken too by the PC infested little faith in his students headmaster. I rode my motorbike to the school and not one car driver tried to kill me............ for a pleasant change ;)

Heh heh. 

yeah don't start me on my unrated shackle rant, there was a period there when every chandlery in AKL sold  junk anchor shackles that looked exactly like the  well made ones we'd all been buying for the previous couple of decades. It was when I stripped a 14 mm  one with a 6 in crescent I looked a bit closer and discovered they might have well as painted the threads on. barely cut.

Archived