Murray Deaker on Team NZ: Grant Dalton must go

Deaker is consistent with my reaction to the matter, though I readily acknowledge all I know about this is what we are reading. A few uninformed musings though:

- I don't buy off on the view that Dalton is necessary for the fundraising. Might he instead be a liability to the fundraising at this juncture?

- I wonder what his contract says? Could TNZ be stuck with a contract that financially handcuffs them to Dalton at this point - too expensive to break?

- If NZ public opinion is important to their success and brand name (and I sense it is), it seems to me that this might now push them to become a much more transparent organization. I think this would ultimately make them stronger.

Sure is going to be interesting. I hope they put all this dis functionality behind them and become a team again. I can't see Ashley having signed up for another round if the team was a train wreck. Hopefully amongst the 50 full time staff there's a PR position being filled though.

Also Interesting that Brad Butterworth has been so quiet. I would have thought this would be the prime opportunity to step up and fill Daltons shoes? 

And then there's this inconvenient spanner in the works: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11409765

Unsure about his 'clarity and courage' comment, but the money talks at the end of the day. 

I like this write up from today's Scuttlebutt, only because it agrees with me.

Quieting the critics
Team New Zealand leader Grant Dalton is the man who goes into the board rooms and gets the sponsors for the team. The Kiwi America's Cup team would not exist without sponsors. Whether or not this is a popular decision is not relevant, and even Mr. Coutts said that this was a difficult task, and Dalton is better at it than anyone else.

Dean Barker is a great guy and a fine sailor, but the decision to hire Peter Burling was made a long time ago, and was never a secret. However, the fact that the Cup was lost cannot be blamed on any member of the team, but was a matter of money.

Oracle owner Larry Ellison was not going to lose the Cup; no matter what it cost and he is the fifth wealthiest man in the world. Ellison spent over $250 million to win the race and their computerized foiling system was well beyond the Kiwi's capability (and arguably illegal too).

The public should also know that ETNZ brought in enough business into New Zealand. The $36 million taxpayer investment was deemed to show a positive impact of $87 million to the New Zealand economy. Wouldn't everyone be glad to get that kind of return on their investment?

The Cup was not lost due to any mistakes made by Dalton or Barker. The fastest boat wins and a computer aided system will beat manpower every day of the week. Oracle only came back to win the Cup, after their team mastered the use of that computer.

These are the facts. All the complainers are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
- Julie Aarons-McColm

Check out the report that was linked to in one of these threads... It was a pretty good summary of where the money went, and how it was recovered... This has been covered umpteen times now... Enough with the negative, lets move on to the next one, and hope that Dalton, Burling, Ashby et al... can pull together another competitive challenge... I'll be going again, the last one was awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

I like this write up from today's Scuttlebutt, only because it agrees with me.

Quieting the critics
Team New Zealand leader Grant Dalton is the man who goes into the board rooms and gets the sponsors for the team. The Kiwi America's Cup team would not exist without sponsors. Whether or not this is a popular decision is not relevant, and even Mr. Coutts said that this was a difficult task, and Dalton is better at it than anyone else.

Dean Barker is a great guy and a fine sailor, but the decision to hire Peter Burling was made a long time ago, and was never a secret. However, the fact that the Cup was lost cannot be blamed on any member of the team, but was a matter of money.

Oracle owner Larry Ellison was not going to lose the Cup; no matter what it cost and he is the fifth wealthiest man in the world. Ellison spent over $250 million to win the race and their computerized foiling system was well beyond the Kiwi's capability (and arguably illegal too).

The public should also know that ETNZ brought in enough business into New Zealand. The $36 million taxpayer investment was deemed to show a positive impact of $87 million to the New Zealand economy. Wouldn't everyone be glad to get that kind of return on their investment?

The Cup was not lost due to any mistakes made by Dalton or Barker. The fastest boat wins and a computer aided system will beat manpower every day of the week. Oracle only came back to win the Cup, after their team mastered the use of that computer.

These are the facts. All the complainers are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.
- Julie Aarons-McColm

Dalton and team NZ  - designers also had access to the same computer simulator.

http://www.blueplanettimes.com/wp-content/gallery/this-that-tother/hydroptere-bow.jpg

OC