Navman speed

Changed

I have aNavman log which has stopped reading. Paddle wheel spins freely and is clean. The screen just reads 0. Depth is fine. I have checked the connection and it looks OK. Am I missing something?

Yup I have one of those Navman Multi units that only delivers depth and not speed.

Could have been something to do with this idiot not turning the unit off before Sharpie and his magic water wand blasted it into warp speed 64.

Just use your GPS for sog and let Mr Navman look after the depth.

Have you checked to see if it is producing a signal and is it getting to the unit etc., is there power? i have checked that before on mine and then replaced it with an Advansea unit that uses the same cables and connectors etc. You need to know how to test it with a multimeter or scope - I think it can be found on Youtube or someone here should know how to test it.

Have you checked to see if it is producing a signal and is it getting to the unit etc., is there power? i have checked that before on mine and then replaced it with an Advansea unit that uses the same cables and connectors etc. You need to know how to test it with a multimeter or scope - I think it can be found on Youtube or someone here should know how to test it.

Ballystick, did you have to replace both the Navman head unit and the sender?  My sender needs a new paddle wheel and they look to be hard to get.  I did wonder if i could replace the sender with an Advansea and keep the Navman 3100.

I kept the same sender and just replaced the instrument. i got another paddle wheel previously from a marine instrument repair shop in Tga but they don't have any more left. 

Also, the help people at Advansea in NZ were useful for advice.

I have aNavman log which has stopped reading. Paddle wheel spins freely and is clean. The screen just reads 0. Depth is fine. I have checked the connection and it looks OK. Am I missing something?

From memory the Navman used an Airmar transducer.  Take a look at the FAQ for testing the sender.  There is also a chart for matching the wiring that might be useful.

http://faq.airmar.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=39&artlang=en

And the wiring diagram cross reference

http://www.airmartechnology.com/marine-product-search.asp?q=navman

In my experience, there is sometimes nothing wrong with the instrument or the display. Navman's weaklink is the plastic film connecting the two. Often the display end detaches from the display contacts. The working/electronics PC board end seems much better attached.

So take the instrument apart carefully. You can power up with 2 x  6V torch batteries for a 12V supply and gently press the film contacts strip against the display contacts and you may well see other parts of the display darken up to show numerals or parts thereof. So nothing wrong with the instrument workings or the display, just another failure of the incredible cheap & nasty poor film contact strip.

Another way is to beg / borrow another speed instrument that can "read" the same NMEA 0183 sentanences and connect to the navman instrument output into the other instruments input. I have used a CruzPro speed & depth to check a Navman instrument. If the "other" instrument shows speed, then again there is often nothing wrong with the the Navman as it is working but the thin film linkage to the display is broken / NOT making enough or perfect electrical contact.

I have tried packing to hold the contacts more firmly and whilst it worked at home, it failed after a few months when back on board.

There is an excellent youtube video showing this repair issue but I have been unable to easily source any ZEBRA connection strip in Auckland of the right size to remedy the navman displays permanently. 

It was about 2 years ago I was doing this. At that time I think Farrari had fixed one instrument.

Will try to find and then post some photos.

The first photo shows a Navman Instrument green PC Board with the gold connectors.

Under this is the folded back (mylar?) plastic film connector strip and on the top edge you can see dirt / corrosion / differences in the amont of good vs poor contacts.

Lower down again is the back edge of the Display panel.

One could individually connect with a wire each contact to the display but the small size is way beyond my messy soldering.

So the ZEBRA connector strip is designed to have 3 to 5 wires so at least the middle 3 conductors make good & appropriate contacts at 133 wires per inch.

See : w w w . f u j i p o l y . c o m for greater detail

The next photo shows my vernier inch and cm scale against the Navman contacts.

(N.B. I had to reduce my zoom setting from 150% to 50% to see the full width of the photos.)

DSCF2502.JPG

DSCF2504.JPG

I have a spare transducer you can borrow for trouble shooting from a 3100 if this helps. In my experience if it shows 0 then it is prob not the common connector screen problem as described above as you will not see the numbers or only partial numbers . Mine was and I did fix it with the zebra connector. Happy to point you in the right direction if this is the problem. Another thing to check is the magnets in the paddle wheel. The original ones rust and fall out. They are hard to replace but can use the transom hung transducer which has more fins so rotate differently. Just adjust this with the head unit calibration. cheers Michael

I would really appreciate that. My display appears to be fine. Display is clear. I have a relatively new paddle wheel thanks to KM. Txt 0275827271

The first photo shows a Navman Instrument green PC Board with the gold connectors.

Under this is the folded back (mylar?) plastic film connector strip and on the top edge you can see dirt / corrosion / differences in the amont of good vs poor contacts.

Lower down again is the back edge of the Display panel.

One could individually connect with a wire each contact to the display but the small size is way beyond my messy soldering.

So the ZEBRA connector strip is designed to have 3 to 5 wires so at least the middle 3 conductors make good & appropriate contacts at 133 wires per inch.

See : w w w . f u j i p o l y . c o m for greater detail

The next photo shows my vernier inch and cm scale against the Navman contacts.

(N.B. I had to reduce my zoom setting from 150% to 50% to see the full width of the photos.)

The Strip you are looking for is available from Jaycar and commonly used in the large digital display units, you simply open the display unit remove the strip cut it to the desired length on the instrument and put it all back together. I have done about 3 of them including wind and the multi and it works well.

The bigger problem is the water getting in the back through the 3rd hold on the Multi, once you fill that in you have less issues.

Thank you Michael for the loan of the transducer. The head unit works fine. Now the big ask; Does anyone out there have an unused Navman 3100 transducer. I have the paddle wheel so only need a case and cable. Cheers in anticipation.

Archived