Boat Sales Listing Photos

grantmc

I guess like many people that sail I watch Trade Me yacht listings (and dream). But something that has struck me over the years has been the relatively poor quality of the photos.  Are yachties useless at taking photos?

Pictures are so often out of focus, out of date, over exposed, dark or tiny, and likely taken on a 10yo mobile phone.  Often there’s been no thought to the background of the photo. Sometimes there’s not even a thought to what’s actually in the photo; photographer’s shadow, people’s legs, junk on tables etc. And so few sail boat listings include photos of them actually sailing. Very common too that for every photo of the exterior, there are likely to be 4-5 or more of the interior.

Curious also, that people listing a boat worth tens of thousands vendors can’t spend a little money on a professional. Why is that? Oh and don’t even get me started on the poor spelling and grammar in the text.

Some examples of poor photos

Listing 1

Listing 2

Listing 3

Listing 4

And here’s a listing with some excellent photos.

Weird isn't it.  There was one that sticks to mind from a year or three back ,expensive boat , dirty dishes , unmade beds, stuff everywhere , it was almost as if the recently separated  bloke didn't want to sell it.

Archived