• 10-15 years
    • 15-20Years
    • 20-25 Years
    • 25-30 Years
    • 30-35 Years
    • 35-40 Years
    • 40-45 Years
    • Over 45 Years
  2. 2. What Type of Boat is she? (you can select more than one)

• Trailer Sailer
    • Keeler
    • Multihull
    • Sailing Dingy
    • Power Vessel <6m
    • Power Vessel >6m
    • Timber
    • GRP/Composite
    • Other
  3. 3. Is your PRIME use of your boat;

• Racing
    • Cruising

P Class, Tiger Cub, Cherub, Farr 727 (Zap), 30' Johnny T cat ( T W U), 30' Thompson (Demonstrator) + a 36' launch

Just nothing currently.......

The racer/cruiser ratio is closer than I expected! Age of the boats, mostly 25-35yrs is about what I thought... Anyone else want to add their boats?

A lot of us probably need to tick Racing and Cruising but the option is on one or the other.

300 odd views, only 58 Boats logged??

And how do the stats work? I've looked several times (I'm noisy), so presumably have caused the counter to rise several times, but I only entered my boat once. 

^

yup, in the 50's nz was 1 of the richest countries in the world per capita

it started tailing off in the 60's 

but the shock of the uk dumping us to buy from the eec in the 70's

wasn't really felt until the 80's when muldoon's attempts to keep the old system afloat

were dumped, as they had to be, by a revolutionary lange labour

plus people suddenly wanted more of everything 

as the bare minimum they would consider

engines and radios used to be luxuries 

now luxurious

is a colour plotter that costs more than a new car

Regarding the results for boat ages, there is a sudden drop off at 30 years, so what happened 30 years ago that there were suddenly fewer (new) boats being bought??

In 1979 Robert Muldoon's Guvmint introduced a 20% boat and caravan sales tax. The tax totally killed both the caravan and boat building industries within a few months. The tax was repealed in 1984 by the new Labour guvmint. But by then damage had been done, there just weren't many people around who could still build them. Most of the molds had been dumped too. And of course, as Sundreamer states above, 3 more years and we had the crash, mortgage interest rates well in excess of 20% and a serious recession

The racer/cruiser ratio is closer than I expected!

I had fun trying to answer that question accurately! If it was effort, thought time, and money then the answer was racing. If it was hours or nautical miles it easily would be cruising. I answered the former, but a marginal call.

What is interesting is how boats, or at least their owners, don't seem to be able to do both in the same boat so much. Much of the fleet seems to be in one corner or the other I think. Which is a pity, as a boat is such a big investment in time and money it's good to be able to do both!

. . .   What is interesting is how boats, or at least their owners, don't seem to be able to do both in the same boat so much. Much of the fleet seems to be in one corner or the other I think. Which is a pity, as a boat is such a big investment in time and money it's good to be able to do both!

Very true Tim. With racing so competitive, many boats are slimmed down so much to try to get a competitive edge, that cruising becomes a non-option.

After 14 days away on the Offender, I proved it can be done on a once racer. Admittedly, we lost about 1-2kts of speed having her loaded up for cruising. But how many peeps can carry food and water for 14 days, and still go racing? ;)

Tim C

Tim C

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-175.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 479 posts
  • LocationWarkworth, and the World!

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 AM

island time, on 11 Mar 2015 - 4:21 PM, said:snapback.png

The racer/cruiser ratio is closer than I expected!

I had fun trying to answer that question accurately! If it was effort, thought time, and money then the answer was racing. If it was hours or nautical miles it easily would be cruising. I answered the former, but a marginal call.

What is interesting is how boats, or at least their owners, don't seem to be able to do both in the same boat so much. Much of the fleet seems to be in one corner or the other I think. Which is a pity, as a boat is such a big investment in time and money it's good to be able to do both!

Yep Ive been little suprised I havent managed to sell Pork Chop, given I have set her up for both racing and cruising. Boat is seriously competitive in B division and is a great Coastal machine, and gained the nickname The Big Red Couch when I was cruising her every summer....but only a handful of people that have looked at her have wanted to do both. I completely under estimated how many people I thought would want to race and cruise the same machine...and those that are keen, arent able to sell there bothsto take the next step up...

I was the youngest person I knew to own a boat of her size ten years ago....and I know only a couple now ten years on... which says something.