Cyclone Pam

ex Elly

Looks and sounds terrible. I can't make contact with friends there. I'm on my boat in BOI and its building here - hard to read track but it's starting to look like we might get a pretty big blow in NZ too.

Moved CatKnapp into the Whangarei town basin just in time, doubled all the lines and think i'll be spending tonight on her keeping an eye on things. I hope the boats that don't get much use out at Urquharts are ok

I'm snugged up in Opua Marina got one of the last berths. Other people are out at anchor or looking for cyclone moorings. When I've finished my laundry I'll pop out to Black Panther and take a look if you like?

You're probably as good as you're gonna get - as always the biggest risk is someone upwind drifting down onto you but there's not much you can do about that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I see the Sydney Morning Herald is saying from Vila "Two foreign nationals are believed to have drowned when their sailing boat sank in the rough seas, but their nationalities are not yet known"

I haven't been there for over a decade but that shot looks like the dock at the Waterfront Bar?

^

zooming in to auckland it looks like we'll be getting 30knots?

from the south east

so should be ok for okahu bay

but a little rough at northcote point

^ click on the 

earth

bit on the lower left

then use the 

>

to go forward 3 hours

or the 

>>

to go forward 24hrs

also click on the area you are most interested in to get the pic to zoom in as much as possible

the wind speed and angle should be the estimation for the small green circle

wea5.jpg

not a day to be sailing near the kermadecs

David, real time weather brough to you from Opua Cruising Club - it's still blowing old boots but seems to have eased since I was out at your boat. But looking at those slightly worrying pictures above from erice I presume it's a temporary lull before picking up again.

I can see Black Panther from the OCC bar.

image.jpg

the last of the 4 pics above shows a bit of red at east cape on closest approach to land

red seems to be 100kph or 60?knots

but don't be fooled by the digital accuracy of these predictions

wind speeds and course is of course only the 'best guess" the program can make from the data it gets

if you save those pics and then the day after tomorrow use the

to see what actually happened

it won't be what was predicted....

more likely is somewhere between "very close" - "simply wrong"

we still have a lot to learn about the weather around nz

Archived