Yacht runs over fishing boat

ex Elly

This happened at Waitangi weekend. The court case is now under way.

"Yachtie involved in crash, in which man seriously hurt, may have charges dropped."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11419460

Apparently the good doctor has 'sinned'!

Interesting statement from the survivor regarding lifejackets: "had he not removed his life jacket minutes earlier, he believed he would be dead."

It seems that this case has followed a very different legal procedure than the Antaeus vs Gypsy incident. I wonder why?

OK, I'll bite on one of my hobby horses (my blog post on PFDs) .

If he was wearing his PFD (unlikely he really meant life jacket), he may not have been low enough in the water to get his head slammed and may not have been dragged under etc etc. Seems like someone who got thrown out of a car wreck while not wearing their seatbelt saying "If I had been wearing my seatbelt I would probably be dead.

I was on the water that day and heard the #16 exchanges trying to locate the boat and asking for help/witnesses. Is that #16 stuff available perhaps via FOI?

Maybe diving down was not the correct option as with the helm hard down the boat would have swung over the top of him. A 17m boat so maybe 5m beam where the prop would be? If he was floating on the surface there is no way his leg would have hit the prop.

Some of the worst "journalism" I've read.

"seconds later"   later than what?... seconds later than February 8th? How the fk does that make sense?

"He was aboard his vessel less than two weeks later" ... just like most poeple who smash their cars, they're driving a new car within a few weeks until a court revokes that right.

"he was cleared of wrong doing in something COMPLETELY UNRELATED ..." wtf?

Just like I was discovered to like flat whites after I had a number to bumper... ????

Jesus, we gotta do something about the level of NZ media reporting. This report is almost non-sensical. hic!

Why didn't the guys in the run about just move. At 150m and no sign of deviation it could have been prudent. Did you know that it takes a fraction over 6 seconds for a boat travelling at 7 knots to cover 150m. Why not just slow down if you're engaging the pilot and going down below? Wonder? Wonder? Wonder?

The Herald reporter didn't mention that the result two weeks later was also 7th on handicap! But I guess the mention of Rum & Race in the same sentence got across all they intended.

To be fair Changed, the runabout would have been anchored so pretty limited in being able to move inside the 6 seconds, but maybe flooring it at 90degrees to the path around the anchor. At the end of the day there was no collision between the boats & had he not dived in the water on the "wrong" side there would really have been no story to tell.

Well, except that the boat wasn't under control, the skipper couldn't be seen in order to eyeball him. I think the fishing dude did as best he could in a situation he shouldn't have had to cope with. The thing is this is happening more than we all expect, near misses. 

I think its at the stage where an aerosol horn handy is an important piece of kit. I would have used mine say twice in the last 5 years to wake someone up who looked for all the world like he wanted to run me down. 

BP was telling us about that guy in the yacht ramming an anchored boat in the BOI a year or so ago. Same thing ... ap right into the  anchored boats in a bay. 

and then there's that lovely brand new something that was run into a pier in westhaven a few weeks ago , on AP.

I wonder how that works ... a brand new boat that's been crashed isn't a brand new boat anymore is it.

Not that he should have to, but the fishing boat would almost certainly have been able to move the 5-10m required to get out of the way without recovering the anchor...

How is an approaching yacht or other vessel supposed to know which small fishing vessel is drift fishing, motoring or anchored in what is a busy channel?

The tide through that channel makes a anchored boat look like it is underway through a bow wave. A skipper may well see that before a light anchor rope, and assume the boat is moving. 

Correctly any boat should be showing an anchor ball if anchored. This may seem pedantic, but I bet an insurance company would ask if the collision was the other way around, and an expensive boat anchored in an exposed channel was damaged not showing the correct day shapes or lights...

this "diversion" is a powerful thing

A woman accused of arranging an assault hit on her police officer husband may escape any punishment over the alleged plot.

The defendant aged in her 40s appeared in North Shore District Court this morning and initially pleaded not guilty to the charge, electing trial by jury.

However, after the lunch break the court heard the police would consider her for diversion.

Diversion allows mainly one-off offenders to address the causes of their actions through completing several tasks, after which the police withdraw the charge.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11419974

a "task" on "calendar management" seems a better deal than a $200 fine for letting the wof expire on an un-driven car, parked outside the house on the street

this "diversion" is a powerful thing

A woman accused of arranging an assault hit on her police officer husband may escape any punishment over the alleged plot.

The defendant aged in her 40s appeared in North Shore District Court this morning and initially pleaded not guilty to the charge, electing trial by jury.

However, after the lunch break the court heard the police would consider her for diversion.

Diversion allows mainly one-off offenders to address the causes of their actions through completing several tasks, after which the police withdraw the charge.

Having had a friend in a very difficult situation with an officer involved, and hearing how that was swept under the carpet, the above case may well have been referred to diversion simply because the woman's story was perhaps best not aired in public via a jury, as it could be potentially embarrassing... 

Archived