RACE TO VAVAU

Yes Bronze being cruising type boats but it will be a race for them. Have had a bit of interest about that division already.

And you are correct, The local businesses and Tourism Tonga are getting behind this big time.

I believe 2017 is a good call too as we are the only club to be approved by YNZ to run an offshore race that year.

MONDO TRAVEL have come on board as a major sponsor. Part of which  will be a drawn prize of a trip for two to Vava'u including air fares, accommodation and transfers, open to all entrants.

Just under two years to go already so time to start thinking about your options.

Would a foreign flagged boat need cat one to enter the cruising division?

Could you please tell me the drugs that you are on as they could possibaly enhance my mental stability so I could be on the same plane that you are on , "careless intent " cat one racing under the "Royal  Yatch club of Russia" ????  come on tell us /me, trust me  I used to be a realestate  :thumbup:  agent

Would a foreign flagged boat need cat one to enter the cruising division?

Mmmmmmm, Will have to get back to you on that one but I can assure you we will do our best to accommodate you for sure.

What is the latest news on this? I imagine it takes a while to get set up for Cat 1 - but presume a bit over 15 months enough time?

Have looked at KCC site and no mention of the event at all.

Can somebody tell me - aside from all the other things you have to do for cat 1, do you have to do a qualifying voyage - or is that more to satisfy

the race organisers than safety inspectors?

Vava'u Race will be cat 1. Details on how to obtain a Cat 1 certificate on YNZ web site.

The organising committee will have a dedicated  page on the Kerikeri Cruising Club web site later this month.

Until then,questions to Mark Beauchamp at info@kerkericruisingclub.org.nz 

question on pronunciation for linguistic nerds and locals

have always thought it was 

"vava oo"................... with  gap and a short u (as in boo)

but know a cruiser who continually says

"vavow"..............1 word ignoring the apostrophe stop

net seems to imply 

"vava you".............gap and long u

https://www.howtopronounce.com/vava-u/

Last time I was there, in 1984, I seem to recall that the locals pronounced:

"vava oo"................... with  gap and a short u (as in boo)

Of all islands close to NZ I thought this was the most beautiful, I can't wait to get back again in May 2017.

PS.  In 1984 a volcano was erupting off the coast 60nm away.  We also saw an island pop up and then disappear a month later, so keep a good watch :-)