• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have looked hard at sail lofts in Asia, and although some sails are well made, I would still support a locally cut and stitched product, purely because I want to support local.   If the local sail

Actually khayyam there seems to be a convergence now to evidence-based policy making in the public sphere. About bloody time we got rid of crazy ideologues from the ends of the spectrums. I have seen

Willis Sails  make your sails in their  loft ............. any problems ..... just see them ,  no Problem 

From what I understand your sail maker is probably right. But unless you get one through a local you could be playing with fire.. or in this case a bit of cloth only good for being a painters drop sheet.

I know a dude who was smart and got a set direct from a offshore loft. The sails look OK made in what seems OK cloth but the shape is totaly sh*t. To get that fixed locally will cost, to send them back to get fixed will cost. He reckons that cost is more then the difference of what he would have paid buying them thru a local sailmaker. He is not a happy chappy but understands it was his call so he can't blame anyone else.

But on the flip side some have done the same and got nice sails.

The question is 'How brave are you to go it alone?'

Disclaimer - I got 4 sails from offshore last year but they did come from well respected lofts i,e Norths and Quantum. They were favour paybacks and I fully understand if I need them tweaked I can't expect the locals to do that for nothing. Basically they were at a price that was beyond silly cheap or I would have purchased them locally.

The real issue is being absolutely certain of what you are getting. I looked at offshore lofts, or even Kit sails from Sailrite. Once the correct specifications I wanted was reached (Right cloth, design, fittings etc) they were less than 20% cheaper than local sails. My new main will come from Norths, here in Auckland. PM Booboo on this site for a price/info, or click the Norths Advert.

Support our Advertisers!

I have looked hard at sail lofts in Asia, and although some sails are well made, I would still support a locally cut and stitched product, purely because I want to support local.

If the local sailmakers lose our support, there will be a tipping point where the local lofts are no longer sustainable, and we no longer have the choice. Everything will come from China. Without the local competition or choice, after all sails start to come from Asia and the locals are gone, the cheaper asian product will escalate in price to be the same as or more expensive than the original locally made product, but will still be a cheap offshore quality. It's already happened with tools...

I try very hard to prevent the loss of that consumer choice and harder still to help maintain the realistic price of good quality.