HYDE SAILS

Scottie I meant intelligent conservatives, not ideological fools who'd cut their noses off to spite their faces. Google search = conservatives "living wage"

And BTW did you really mean to say the minimum wage is too low?

jonathan, you need to read a bit more widely

certainly lots of political parties *think* they have an answer to the globalisation of labour intensive industries. (perhaps none moreso than mr trump).

actually having an answer is a different thing altogether.

Actually khayyam there seems to be a convergence now to evidence-based policy making in the public sphere. About bloody time we got rid of crazy ideologues from the ends of the spectrums. I have seen extreme rightists refuse to back a good policy merely because it was put up by someone they hate. I've also seen mad marxists refuse to even talk to anyone who doesn't believe in the "labour theory of value" (the cornerstone to Marxism). I've seen religionists of all stripes wanting to make policy based on their favourite holy books. Parliamentary cross-party christian groups are particularly egregious here.

• Upvote 2

Actually khayyam there seems to be a convergence now to evidence-based policy making in the public sphere. About bloody time we got rid of crazy ideologues from the ends of the spectrums. I have seen extreme rightists refuse to back a good policy merely because it was put up by someone they hate. I've also seen mad marxists refuse to even talk to anyone who doesn't believe in the "labour theory of value" (the cornerstone to Marxism). I've seen religionists of all stripes wanting to make policy based on their favourite holy books. Parliamentary cross-party christian groups are particularly egregious here.

Kevin, this is possibly one of your best posts. Correctly interpreting the evidence and adjusting your view to fit the evidence is the foundation of the enlightenment that started in ~14th C. Adjusting/controlling the facts so they fit your view/ideology is the rocks in your pockets of the dark ages.

I can only hope that our current and future governments and populace don't fall into the attractive trap of alternative facts. The propaganda war is now no longer won based on the facts or the stories themselves, but by confusing the issue and thereby attempting to invalidate the concept of objective truth - i.e. that nothing is true, so you might as well believe whatever story fits your ideology/fantasy the best.

Now - Back to the cheap but well made sails...

Cheapish yes,well made yes,the stitching cannot fault or any of the seams,the leach cord runs from clew to head through 2 pulleys down luff to cleat,no mucking around at end of boom,top 2 battens full length and bottom 2  3/4 length,apparently will set better(will see in a 2hrs)loose foot

From their touring range in contender clothe 6.5oz.  headsail set well and just fitted chaff patches.

will get some photos soon

worked out to $3.9k saved $700.

personally do not care if staff get paid minimum wage but because of low wage less cost to hydes which means staff can spend more time getting it right.

Ie according to b and g sails some of the patches for clew/tack etc would take him almost 1/2 a day and we would not be prepared to that cost.

So, HT, slave labour is fine with you provided:

A. You get a cheaper sail

And

B. It's not you providing the labour?

I've looked at these lofts as well, and decided not to go ahead. IMO it's worth $700 for the local support if something is not quite right.

Apart from the ethical issues.

How many buy clothes shoes etc from the warehouse??no difference,the consumer wants cheaper products so we support the warehouse at the expense of kiwi labour.

Now if we talking imported sails to local sails perhaps

A) lofts in nz sharper pencils

B)refuse to send sails overseas for manufacturing

What a difference,totally different yacht,laid over and pointed a lot higher with more boat speed compared to laying over and stalling.

Of course you are all assuming that your "kiwi" sail is actually made in NZ as opposed to just having the luff tapes and eyelets put in here.

exactly a lot of nz lofts get sails sewn overseas and add finishing touches in nz

Not all of us can afford the extra $700

Those buyers for whom cheapness is the singular goal 

remind me of some of my former colleagues in political "science" 

who, if a fat consultancy or grant were in the offing, would 

cheerfully stuff living humans into roaring ovens.  

Well actually, what they did was to remain silent as the 2003 Iraq War loomed. 

Amounts to the same thing . .