Foiling Gunboat Cruiser

And over she goes

Yup, not too surprised, Its not really a cruiser and you need to have reaction times and the intuition of a moth sailor to keep it on its feet let alone the 2 guys thrashing the winches for the dedicated expert trimmers - have a look at the video above, they are all working pretty hard to keep it in semi-flat flight. Sustainable for how long? 40 minutes? and hour? if that...

Bugger.

Bound to happen at some stage I guess - I mean "ooooh look a performance cat playing possum" is not really that unusual is it?

Serious set back to the designers? I doubt it because it seems clear that this is not a boat with widespread target audience (I guess we'd all like

one but how many have the cash or the hired gun crew that would be necessary to avoid this). Oh wait a mo - they were, a gun, crew...

Return to line 1

• Upvote 1

I'd be removing the reference to 'cruiser' in all my advertising campaigns about now if I were the designers.  Some dumb arse will no doubt do this another day, get hurt or worse and then watch out for the stampede of lawsuits appearing over the horizon...

Hooning in flat water is one thing but what seems to be a littlest bit of swell turned the cat into a dog. Ok maybe just an impolite cat

• Downvote 1

man - she is a spectacular boat. I'd rather see professoinals pushing the boat over the limit than ametuers.  It's clear from the vid that they were pushing this very very hard - that's what you'd hope a manufacturer would do when pitching a boat like this.  They've speculated on this project, put it out there themselves, tested it, pushed it over the limit, dumped and pulled it out themselves - no different to anyone else commissioning a boat.  So they're offering it for sale - what's wrong with that. 

Just read this on their site - I imagine revisiting this system will be part of the redevelopment!

5. MAINSAIL CONTROL SYSTEM: A light cat requires easy control of the mainsail. The helmsman trims the mainsheet with foot-pedal hydraulic pumps, and eases with the push of a button. The GUNBOAT G4 is the first high-performance cat to allow such short-handed control and safety.